How to Get Involved with the Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Whether youre new to the voting process or you have gone through it before, this year is your chance to vote in the presidential election. Getting involved is a great way to demonstrate your right to participate in government and chance to voice your opinion for our generation. Here are a couple of ways to support your favorite candidate this upcoming election and become active in your community:

VOTE

Deciding which candidate best represents your values and beliefs is the first step to getting involved in the election process. If you registered before February 1st you are eligible to vote in the March 1st Primary Elections.

What are the Primary Elections?

In the Primary Elections, registered voters have the opportunity to select which candidate they want to represent their partys nomination.

How can you confirm that you are registered to vote?

It is as simple as googling “Am I registered to vote in Texas?” and finding a website and inserting either your name, drivers license number, voter registration number, or social security. If you go to college out of your city or state you can apply to vote early by mail as long as you meet the deadlines for the specific election you wish to participate. Dont stress if you arent registered to vote, just make sure you do it before October 11th so you can vote in the presidential election! Texas residents can check their voter registration status here.

HOST A DEBATE WATCH

Watching the debates with a group of your friends, schoolmates, or people who live in your dorm can be a fun and free way to get involved in politics around campus. Post flyers around school or in your hall to let your peers know when and where you want to watch the debate. Whether you watch in your dorms common room or cram around your laptop, getting together as a group is a great way to show support for your favorite candidates and share ideas! And don’t forget the snacks! 

DONATE

We all know college students are notorious for living off ramen and fast food dollar meal essentials, but donating to your favorite candidate can be a way to help their cause, even if its just five dollars. Another way to financially support your candidate is to check out their merchandise! Buying bumper stickers for your car or computer case, hats, t-shirts, or new buttons for your backpack, you are bound to find something to you can proudly display.

SOCIAL MEDIA

Social Media can be a useful tool if you want to look up or share information fast. A simple picture, retweet, share, or like can get your candidates message out there both globally and locally. Not only is this a great way to spread your beliefs, but it could also be a way to educate others. Following your candidate on Twitter or other forms of social media can also keep you up to date on any new messages or stances. Getting involved through social media can also help you discover events near you. While it is important to voice your opinion, remember to always be respectful of others.

VOLUNTEER

Volunteering is as easy as googling “Volunteer for [insert candidate’s name].” You can choose from a variety of ways to help such as knocking on doors, calling people, or helping at a local event. Not only is this a terrific way to spend your time, but it also gets you involved in your community and sets a good example for others.

Bottom line, your vote DOES matter. Remember to register so you can become a part of this democratic process. Make your voice heard and get out there. Vote, donate, “like,” and watch for more ways to get involved this 2016!

Welcome! My name is Heather and I am currently majoring in English at St. Edwards University!
Taylor Duane

St Edward's