Have You Thought About Volunteering This Summer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Can y’all believe that it’s almost March already?! The semester is already hitting the halfway point and that means we are just that much closer to the summer. Would you like to have a meaningful summer full of laughter, hugs, and fun? If so, have you thought about volunteering at a summer camp? Summer camps are a great way to spend your summer! And guess what?! SUMMER APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN! Well, at least most. Here are a few camps in Texas to spend your summer at!

Here’s some information on some great summer volunteer opportunities:

Easter Seals of Greater Houston

For more information please contact Lindsey Holton at 713.838.9050, ext. 309 or LHolton@eastersealshouston.org

http://www.eastersealshouston.org/Programs/camps.html

Camp Buckaroo: A week-long day camp for children with disabilities ages 6-14 and their siblings to attend together. Volunteers work one on one with a camper and act as their buddy all week at camp developing a strong bond! Each day has a different theme like “A Day At The Beach” or “Under The Big Top” and all sports, music, crafts, and group games are geared towards the theme of the day. We offer five sessions of Camp Buckaroo so volunteers and campers can pick a week and location that fits their schedule. Camp hours are from 10:00am-3:00pm each day. All volunteers must be at least 14 years of age to volunteer at Camp Buckaroo.

• June 5-9, Shepherd of the Heart United Methodist Church, Pearland

• June 12-16, Westbury United Methodist Church, Houston

• July 10-14, Sugar Creek Baptist Church, Sugar Land

• July 17-21, St. John the Divine, Houston

Camp Buckaroo Sugar Land- 2012

Camps Smiles: A week-long overnight camp for children ages 6-14 with cerebral palsy. Volunteers work one on one with a camper and act as their buddy and personal caregiver for the week. Each day campers participate in typical outdoor camp activities like rock climbing, fishing, paintball, karaoke, swimming and much more that have all been adapted to fit the needs of each camper. There are 10 cabins full of campers at Camp For All, an adapted camp facility in Burton, TX. Camp Smiles is only offered for one session. All volunteers must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer at Camp Smiles.

• July 2-July 7 2017, Volunteers will arrive July 1

Two Hilltoppers loving Camp Smiles- 2016

Camp CAMP

https://www.campcamp.org/volunteer-staff/volunteer-opportunities/summer-camp-volunteers/

For more information about volunteer opportunities, please email Sarah Coulombe at sarah.coulombe@campcamp.org.

• Summer Camp: Summer Camp is a series of 6-day/5-night summer sessions for children and adults with special needs. CAMP recruits volunteers to assist with all 9-summer sessions. Each individual session runs Sunday – Friday and overnight stay is required. This program is housed at our Camp CAMP facility at 515 Skyline Drive in Center Point, Texas, and volunteers are responsible for their own transportation. Counselors will spend their week with a camper helping them with personal care needs, assisting with activities such as horseback riding, swimming, canoeing, arts and crafts, outdoor cooking, archery, sports and recreation, nature, night activities, and much more! The most rewarding experience at CAMP will be the friendships formed with fellow counselors and campers

Camp Blessings

http://campblessing.org/volunteers-staff/

We need YOU! Whether you want to volunteer 1 hour a week, or 100, if you have a heart for showing God’s love to children with special needs, we have a spot for you!

Camp Summit

http://www.campsummittx.org/join

• Our campers may be physically challenged, developmentally delayed, dual-sensory impaired, or have multiple disabilities.  We welcome all campers, regardless of the severity of their disabilities.  As long as we can medically meet their needs, they are welcome at camp.  With our on-site medical staff and updated nursing facilities, you can rest assured your camper will be in good hands.

• In addition to our seasonal staff, we have numerous opportunities for volunteers to work directly with our campers throughout the year.  Come spend a week during spring break, summer, or fall.  Or volunteer for a weekend session!

• We have volunteer opportunities for all interests. Serve dinner to our campers, help with campground maintenance, volunteer for a special event, or assist in our office!

Camp For All

http://campforall.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/volunteer-information-page.pdf

Email Camille Boudreaux at cboudreaux@campforall.org or call 979-289-3752.

Camp For All welcomes over 10,000 campers through its gates annually. There are ALWAYS volunteer opportunities! Camp groups are on site nearly every weekend during the spring and fall and every weekday over the summer. Volunteers are utilized most while groups are on site to help with activities. There are also Camp Care Project opportunities while groups are not on site.

Camp For All-2016

• CAMP FOR ALL 2U: Camp For All is taking it on the road! Named Camp For All 2U, this new outreach program provides our amazing camp experiences, indoors and in town, for campers who can’t come to camp and campers who do come to camp but need more “can do” spirit! Canoeing, archery, s’mores, zips, you name it, it’s happening! The impact on the campers is huge and the volunteers love it. To volunteer (must be 18 years-old or older), please fill out an Application.

• March 13-17 MD Anderson Hospital

• June 5-9 Dell Children’s – Austin

• June 19-23 Texas Children’s Hospital

• June 26-30 Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus

• July 10-14 MD Anderson

• July 24-28 Memorial Hermann

• July 31-August 4 Bo’s Place

• VOLUNTEER TO BE A COUNSELOR: Camp For All collaborates with 64 other non-profits. 

Find yourself this summer by volunteering! I promise there is no experience like it!    

Elizabeth Gonzales

St Edward's '18

John Mayer lover, coffee enthusiast, and avid concert goer. Best Buddies and Young Life   Ecclesiastes 3:11  
Hannah Saada

St Edward's '18

Hannah is passionate about gender equity and is a Marketing major at St. Edward's University. She's currently the President for HC at her university. Friends can attest she's a serious Netflix addict and 80s movies are close to her heart. When she's not binge watching a new show, you'll either catch her reading or laughing at terrible puns. [S]he's a righteous dude. Follow Hannah on Instagram at @han_saada