This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Four weeks are left before the semester is over and most of us have to leave the beautiful city of Austin and our beloved hilltop for the next month to go home for the holidays. Although there is nothing better than getting to spend the holidays with family and loved ones, going home also means we have to go an entire month without Jo’s and their heavenly cookies, and all of the fun activities there are to do around the city. To try and make the most out of the next few weeks, here are some things you should do before leaving for the holidays.

1. Go to the Trail of Lights.

The Trail of Lights is a beautiful light display that is set up at Zilker Park during the holidays. This is a MUST do before leaving! The lights are so beautiful and what beats walking around with your best friends and some hot chocolate while looking at Christmas Lights? Plus if you go the day of their grand opening on December 8th it’s free!

2. Go to the Festival of Lights.

The Festival of Lights is a wonderful tradition here at St. Edward’s University. In the weeks before finals Main Building is decorated and lit up with hundreds of Christmas lights, then on the Friday before finals we welcome the beginning of Advent with a prayer and musical celebration. It is truly beautiful and something everyone on the hilltop should experience.

3. Go on a 3 a.m. doughnuts run.

If you have not yet tried out Voodoo Doughnuts on 6th street, we highly recommend that you and your friends make plans to go to the recently opened shop. They make crazy, delicious donuts that are cheap and make a great snack at the middle of the night.

4. Check out one of the many local coffee shops.

Although red cup season is finally among us, try and spice up your relationship with coffee by going out and trying out a local coffee shop. One of our favorites is Spiderhouse by UT campus! On Tuesday’s they have slam poetry and live music, and they also make a great Chai Tea Latte.

5. Visit Mount Bonnell.

Even though the weather has not been the best lately, take a day that isn’t raining or too cold and hike up Mt. Bonnell. The view is gorgeous and makes for a great workout!

6. Go to a concert.

One of the best things to do in Austin is to go to concerts with friends! Thankfully because we live in the music capital of the world there is a concert almost every day of the week. Even going to a small show will kick off your new addiction. If you want to begin getting into concerts, Communion puts on great events that are under $10 and include some great artists.

7. Go for a jog around Lady Bird Lake.

The cold weather is upon us so in order to make the best out of the last few weeks of good weather, go out and jog/walk around Lady Bird Lake. It is such a beautiful trail and will help you feel so relaxed.

8. Go to the Alamo Drafthouse.

If you have yet to go to the drafthouse, drop everything you are doing and make your way to the nearest location. They make fantastic food that you get to eat while watching a movie, and they play new releases and sometimes they will play some classic movies.

Leaving to go home for the holidays can be bitter-sweet, but taking some time during the next few weeks to check out some of these things will make up for the time lost.

Student at St. Edward's University, lover of music, theatre, and all things fashion and beauty.
Taylor Duane

St Edward's