This Christian Song Struck a Chord with Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

This chorus has been my mantra for the past few weeks. I first came to know Lead Me to the Cross by Hillsong during Palm Sunday mass this year. Yes, I may be Catholic, but I am not really into Christian music…. like at all. It is not my thing. Most songs come off as super cheesy to me or the music itself is not the type of music I listen to, but something about this song I find beautiful and moving. Let’s go line by line: 

Lead me to the cross Where Your love poured out

It really had me thinking. Jesus died for us. He gave up his life because he loved us. To think that someone would do such a selfless act for me (a sinner) is so hard to wrap my mind around. He loves such imperfect creatures. No matter how many mistakes we make He still loves us. He loves us so much that He shed his blood in order for us to live. I want to be lead to Him. I want to be lead to the cross and I know that path is hard, but at the end of the path, there is nothing but love, hope and peace. I also know that my path of hardship is nothing in comparison to His.  

Bring me to my knees Lord I lay me down Rid me of myself I belong to You

To me, these four lines go together. Life is hard. Life is not easy by any means. When life gets hard we want to give in and just give up. Life here on Earth is full of turmoil, hardships, evil, and temptations. Life on Earth is fast and will not stop for you. At the end of the day, we are so much more than our earthly lives and sometimes that is hard to think of life that way when so much is going on. Sometimes in life, we just need to stop. We need to stop and breath and look at the world around us. Stop and see how much we have in our lives and how lucky we truly are. We need to stop and see that no matter how bad our lives may seem right now, they are still full of beauty and love. We need to stop and remember that the Lord has control over this crazy thing we call life.

I know my path is broken and sometimes I even stray from that path towards the cross, but that’s ok. I’m not perfect, none of us are, but that’s what makes us human. Sometimes we need to forget about our stresses and worries because at the end of the day they are minuscule in the big scheme of life. Pain and stress are temporary. Refocus that energy to positive thoughts and actions and give your pain and stress to the Lord.  

James 1:2  Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,

Psalms 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Joshua 1:9  “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

2 Corinthians 12:9-10  “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Elizabeth Gonzales

St Edward's '18

John Mayer lover, coffee enthusiast, and avid concert goer. Best Buddies and Young Life   Ecclesiastes 3:11  
Hannah Saada

St Edward's '18

Hannah is passionate about gender equity and is a Marketing major at St. Edward's University. She's currently the President for HC at her university. Friends can attest she's a serious Netflix addict and 80s movies are close to her heart. When she's not binge watching a new show, you'll either catch her reading or laughing at terrible puns. [S]he's a righteous dude. Follow Hannah on Instagram at @han_saada