Campus Celebrity: Matt Hines of The Eastern Sea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Matt Hines, lead singer of The Eastern Sea and former Hilltopper, sat down with us for an interview to talk about breaking in to Carriage House, breakfast foods, and the band’s upcoming album, The Witness.

Can you talk about what we should expect from your new album?

“You can expect ten songs and it’s a departure from our past music in the sense that it’s a little more straightforward and a little more energetic—a lot more funk, a lot more of the sort of poppy elements. The dynamics are a bit more extreme. There are really quiet moments and there are really loud moments. This album kind of represents a snapshot of where we’re at and where we’ve been at the last couple years.”

Being from Austin, do you have a favorite venue here to play?

“We like Mohawk outdoors—that was one of our first big shows. For the longest time, people would call us a ‘Red River Act’ from the Red River Era. The Red River Era is changing, so we’re really proud of that being part of our identity. We got our start playing at places like Stubbs, Mohawk, and Red 7. We played one of the last shows at Red 7 before it closed. It sucks to see people getting forced out of that area because of rent.”

How did you begin the band?

“I started the band on my own ten years ago at St. Edward’s. I invented the band in BMH room 208 or something like that–I recorded a couple records on my computer in that room.We practiced a lot at the Carriage House. We used to sneak in there at night, move around all the keyboards and set up to practice in there.”

What is your favorite breakfast food item?

“This is a big argument in the band—pancake versus waffles. But I like bagels, maybe a good biscuit.”

Purchase The Witness when it comes out on November 13 on the band’s bandcamp page and catch the band playing The Parish on December 5 with The Bright Light.

Thanks Matt Hines, we can’t wait for the new album!

Taylor Duane

St Edward's