British Musicians You Should Be Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Rule, Britannia! Britannia rule the (air) waves! If you’re finding that your iTunes Library and/or Spotify playlists are dominated by American music and you’re bored with hearing the same five pop songs every time you turn on the radio, read on. Britain’s got you covered. 

Hailing from England’s capital and formed in 2010, Bastille are making a big name for themselves in their homeland and on this side of the pond, as well. The alternative rock band’s Bad Blood (2013) debuted at number 1 on the UK albums chart and has been steadily gaining attention here in the States, as well. The fourth and most notable single from the album thus far, Pompeii, charted at number 2 in America. Members Dan Smith, Chris Wood, William Farquarson and Kyle Simmons comprise the band, which originally began as frontman/vocalist Dan Smith’s solo project. The band’s name is derived from Bastille Day, which is an event that takes place on Smith’s birthday, July 14. Bastille is notable for their use of dynamic vocals and percussion, which, when combined, create something that’s unlike anything to hit American airwaves in quite a while. 

Lewis Watson is a 21-year-old singer songwriter from Oxford, England who started playing guitar only five years ago. He’s got a slightly folk-y, acoustic sound which pairs incredibly well with his melancholic and very obviously British voice. Though he’s been compared to fellow Brit Ed Sheeran, Watson has a sound that’s all his own. He hasn’t yet released a full-length album, but he has released five well-received EP’s and he doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon. 
Watson just might give Sheeran a run for his money. 

Featuring haunting lyrics and smooth, harmonic vocals, Daughter is making no apologies for the many tears their listeners have no doubt shed. Formed in 2010 and originating in England, Daughter is comprised of vocalist Elena Tonra, guitarist Igor Haefeli, and drummer Remi Aguilella. The band’s debut album, If You Leave (2013) is full of raw emotion and tells a riveting story of love and loss. Labeled “indie, ambient rock,” Daughter very well could put you in a trance. 

An oldie but a goodie! Everyone and their uncle remembers Brit James Blunt’s 2007 single, “You’re Beautiful,” and most people probably hated it (can you say radio overplay?). Blunt has come a long way since those days. 2010’s Some Kind of Trouble and 2013’s Moon Landing are both infinitely happier (and better!) than his older work. Still mainly comprised of basic singer/songwriter elements, Blunt’s most current works also boasts a pop element. BBC Radio 1 gives Blunt a fair amount of radio play and his latest single, “Bonfire Heart” debuted at number six in Britain. Let’s face it, he’s a great addition to any shower playlist–his music is great for belting out! 
Though Britain has been known for producing great music since the beginning of time, but these four musicians are making names for themselves. 

Check out their websites to stay updated on the latest news!

Kelsey Peters

St Edward's

I'm a junior English Writing and Rhetoric major at St. Edward's. I am a lover of words, cats, beards, banjos, good coffee, and travel. 
Samantha is a Senior English writing and rhetoric major at St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas. She just got back to America after studying abroad for a semester in Angers, France. On top of writing for Her Campus, Samantha is a teaching assistant for freshman writing classes and a news reporter/ social media editor for Hilltop Views, her campus newspaper. Follow her on twitter @samanthdriscoll and instagram @sdrisco.