The Beyoncé Movement: It’s a Woman’s World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

February gives us the chance to celebrate incredible African American men and women who have made history. From athletes to musicians to leaders in the Civil Rights Movement, the United States (and other countries, including the UK and Canada) dedicates this time to appreciate the impact these individuals have made in our world. As February comes to an end, we’re focused on a more modern black figure, famous for making history today not only with her music but also through her powerful, iconic image. 

Beyoncé Knowles has been in the music industry since the Destiny’s Child days of the 1990s and has arguably been in the R&B and pop limelight ever since—singing, songwriting, and producing powerful hits and even taking the stage a few times as an actress. But there’s something even more empowering about Beyoncé that leaves her audience in such an adoring state. From an outsider’s view into the crazed Beyoncé fandom, understanding why she has such an impact on people—especially young women—may be hard to grasp. We’ve pinpointed a few of the reasons Beyoncé truly owns her title, “Queen Bey.”

She’s a feminist…and a humanist.

Beyoncé explained in a CNN interview earlier this year that she has always had feminist views, and she has portrayed that message powerfully in her music.  In the hit song “Flawless,” the artist used a piece from writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s 2013 Ted Talk, “We Should All Be Feminists.” It’s songs like this that are so empowering for women, and they remind us that this confident lifestyle is a choice. Although Beyoncé considers herself a feminist, she sees herself first and foremost as a humanist. She’s all about the equality of women and men, and the importance of connecting and relating to each other rather than tearing one another down:

“Men and women balance each other out, and we have to get to a point where we are comfortable with appreciating each other.”

She is focused on family.

In a world of tabloids and online news focused on lethal celebrity couples, it’s unusual to see a superstar happily married with a child. Marriage is a challenge no matter who you are so balancing two huge music careers on top of that can’t be easy. Beyoncé has been married to rapper Jay-Z for six years. She sees marriage as a powerful partnership, and believes that it is possible to exude inner confidence while simultaneously relying on someone else. It is not about dominance or competition but about respect and support. Having a system of dependency and someone to share the beauty of life with is a gift for Beyoncé. 

She’s all about strength and confidence.

If you couldn’t tell from her killer strut, insane dance moves, or powerful lyrics, Beyoncé is an advocate for inner strength and beauty. This, among everything else, attracts young women to her music and her image. Seeing someone who beats every Hollywood stereotype—from her body size to her race to her gender—and breathes an air of self-love onstage is the ultimate Girl Power message. 

Beyoncé’s newest song “Formation” took the audience by surprise earlier this month with impactful lyrics and an even more impactful music video. The song tells a story of love for black culture, especially black women. We celebrate incredible artists like Beyoncé this month and every month who promote a new kind of self-confidence and love, feminism, and strength…and who do it in style.

St. Edward's University English Writing and Rhetoric MajorWicked Wild Austin, Texas ResidentSorin Oak Poetry Review Board MemberCoffee EnthusiastHopeful Traveler, Writer, Risk TakerArtist 
Taylor Duane

St Edward's