5 Habits of a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Some people are blessed with the ability to wake up in the morning with a smile on their face. Others get out of bed unwillingly after being repeatedly screamed at by their alarm clock. Typically, if you aren’t a morning person, you tend to roll out of bed only to make it to class in the next 15 minutes. If you don’t have your coffee within the next 10 minutes, forget about any social interaction during the first half of the day. With your hair a mess and an irritable attitude, you start your day off pretty rough.

If you’re sick of feeling forced out of bed and being rushed in the mornings, there are a few things you could do to coach yourself into becoming a morning person.

Disclaimer: This plan requires getting up a few hours earlier! 

1. Drink some Tea

Tea is only being suggested over coffee because it’s a bit healthier than coffee. Coffee usually comes loaded with sugar and syrup, while tea is still yummy and made up of only water, the tea bag, and any agave nectar or honey you choose to add in. If you are going to have coffee, make sure you’re hydrated beforehand since coffee tends to dehydrate you.

2. Work Out

If you don’t have time to workout in your busy day, use these extra hours in the morning to set aside 30 minutes of cardio or yoga. Getting your muscles moving will wake you up so that you’re physically better equipped to take on your day.

3. Shower

Especially if you work out in the morning, consider taking morning showers so that you feel clean and refreshed for the day. As soon as the water hits your face, you’ll be woken up and ready.

4. Plan your day

Take a seat and pull out your planner. Make a list of the things you need to accomplish, re-read your class notes, and mentally prepare yourself for the day ahead. Having a good grasp of what is to come will make you feel more in control of your day. 

5. Spend time online

Scrolling through our newsfeed has become quite the essential part of our day. Most of us are very into social media and seeing what’s up with our friends, and what’s going on in the news. Set aside 10-15 minutes to browse through Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Maybe spending too much time on social media is harmful, but maybe dedicating a limited amount of time to reading some posts is good for the soul.

If you don’t feel like making the effort to getting up a little extra earlier, that’s fine! Totally understandable. But if you’re interested in taking on your mornings a bit differently, try these tips. You’ll probably end up feeling way more energized to start your day than you would just rolling out of bed. 

Alexa Boone

St Edward's

I'm one of the two campus correspondents for St. Edward's University! I am a sophomore Communication major with a focus on PR and Advertising, and I love writing. I am a senior staff member on Topper Radio where I host a radio show and manage the staff blog. In the future I hope to pursue a career in the music industry doing PR for a quality music label/music representation or icon. Living in Austin has allowed me to grow in the presence of great venues, artists, and festivals. I'm also an RA for LeMans hall, and in my free time I love going to shows, hanging out at coffee shops, and doing a variety of spontaneous activities.