3 Cool Music Venues in Austin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Being the “live music capital of the world,” Austin has a reputation to upkeep. Hosting some of the most well-known artists from all over the world takes work. When you’re about to have great bands perform in your city, you have to make sure the venues your city has to offer them are stellar. Austin just happens to have a number of outstanding music venues, and here are a few of the popular ones. 

1. The Mohawk

Built back in 2006, this bar & venue has become one of the most beloved venues in Austin. Located on the corner of 10th and Red River, The Mohawk gets it’s business from music lovers all over the city. Their well-crafted mission statement is “to host friends, musicians, and staff that represent all music tastes and walks of life.” In our experience, The Mohawk has achieved in upholding that mission statement. 

2. Stubb’s

Also known as Stubb’s BBQ at 801 Red River, many college kids in Austin are more familiar with the place for it’s live music component. A variety of acts are hosted at Stubbs such as Marina & The Diamonds and Walk The Moon to name a couple of the artists that made it to Stubb’s last year, and others like City and Colour and Vance Joy will be hanging out at Stubb’s within the next few months. 

3. The Parish

One of the smaller venues in the city, this one is absolutely one of the favorites. The Parish hosts countless indie rock bands, and a multitude of electronic and hip hop acts along with an array of other genres. The venue is an upstairs affair, adorned with beautiful red wallpaper and vintagey looking lights. The stage is small, but has a disco ball hanging above it to ensure you get the grooviest concert experience. Planted in the heart of the infamous 6th Street, hanging out after every show is always an adventure. Whether you decide to hang out at a bar, get a tattoo, or make a trip to Voodoo Doughnuts after your concert, you’ll always end your night right. 

Check out some of these venues for yourself if you haven’t already! One of your favorite artists is bound to be playing in Austin this year! 

Alexa Boone

St Edward's

I'm one of the two campus correspondents for St. Edward's University! I am a sophomore Communication major with a focus on PR and Advertising, and I love writing. I am a senior staff member on Topper Radio where I host a radio show and manage the staff blog. In the future I hope to pursue a career in the music industry doing PR for a quality music label/music representation or icon. Living in Austin has allowed me to grow in the presence of great venues, artists, and festivals. I'm also an RA for LeMans hall, and in my free time I love going to shows, hanging out at coffee shops, and doing a variety of spontaneous activities.