This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As the temperature drops and the days blend into a seemingly endless night, the appeal of having someone to hold you and keep you warm in the dark winter nights can be all too tempting. This seems like the reality for many students in St Andrews as more couples seem to appear daily, like some cruel advent calendar for us singletons. Welcome to ‘cuffing season’, a term used to describe the drastic increase in romantic activity over the winter months, usually spanning between American Thanksgiving and Valentine’s Day. Whilst Netflix in the ‘warmth’ of a student flat might be a tempting go-to, the winter months provide ample opportunity to explore the town with your significant other. Whether you want to experience them socially or romantically, here are some date ideas in St Andrews to try this winter!

Wrap up and get outside

If you can brave the winter wind, why not explore the natural beauty of the town? A brisk walk along the beach or a meander through the botanical gardens not only makes the most of the limited daylight of Scottish winters but can also prove an invigorating and refreshing break from work. Bonus points if you grab a hot chocolate first – Taste in particular offers an excellent takeaway option. Just make sure to be prepared; bring a couple of extra layers, gloves, a wind-proof hairstyle and lots of chapstick as the Scottish weather can unexpectedly turn a pleasant amble into an expedition. Should the weather take an unfortunate turn, braving it together will make that return to the warmth of your home all the sweeter!

Christmas charity shopping

A fun, sustainable twist on matching jumpers, take each other to one of St Andrews’ many charity shops to hunt for Christmas sweaters. At this time of year, charity shops such as Barnardo’s, British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research and Oxfam are filled with Christmas attire, including a huge range of jumpers and accessories. Spend the day picking out the most outrageous styles for one another (pom poms, glitter and anything that lights up is a particularly good find) and buy each other something for the festive season. Take some pictures and wear the jumpers to grab some food or coffee after, this activity promises lots of laughter and fun memories!

Attend a carol service together

Before the semester ends, both the university and local churches host carol services from the final week of November onwards. The services are highly inclusive with all faiths welcome and can be a brilliant way to connect with the local and student community before heading home. Carol services are often followed by the option of mince pies and mulled wine, but if you are especially nervous a drink before might help loosen up those vocal chords!

Fill up on some ‘pub grub’

One of the best things about winter surely has to be the change in menus to British comfort food. From a spectacular roast, complete with all the trimmings, to hearty soups with fresh bread, pub cuisine in the winter months can really come into its own. If you’re able to, venture further afield to Anstruther or Crail for Sunday lunch or a post-winter-walk meal. If you are staying local, an excellent option is ‘Crie-Pies’ at the Criterion which offers a wide range of meat and vegetarian pies complete with a puff pastry lid and always to be polished off with a pint. 

Afternoon tea

Sticking with cuisine-centred ideas, if a whole meal doesn’t appeal, afternoon tea is a cosy option to see through the dark afternoons. With a plethora of coffee shops and tea rooms at our disposal, the options for an afternoon pick-me-up are endless. Gorgeous cafe, Cottage kitchen and Northpoint all offer a range of cakes and scones, often changing their specials daily. Even the union cafe, Rector’s, serves a wonderful selection of cakes and treats if you want to enhance a study date. 

There is no doubt that the excitement and buzz of a date can make this time of year seem a little less dreary. Whatever takes your fancy, these ideas are brilliant ways to brighten up the winter months. Whether enjoyed with a partner, a friend or as a solo date, St Andrews boasts many opportunities for wholesome, cosy activities as a break from the winter burnout.

Katharine George

St. Andrews '24

Katharine is the current Chapter Leader for the St Andrews chapter of Her Campus. She is currently in her final year at St Andrews studying Modern History and English Literature. She has interests in pursuing a career in journalism or publishing and has thoroughly enjoyed the experience she has gained writing articles for Her Campus. Her topics of interest include art and culture, campus news, wellness and the environment.