Money Accounts to Follow On TikTok Instagram?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money Accounts to Follow On TikTok Instagram?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > Digital

Will your delulu come trulu? Do your Delusions work for you or against you?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

If you are as overly active online as me, you have probably heard the phrase “delulu’’. Whether it is plastered all over your TikTok page or you have listened to it in a conversation with your friends.  “Delulu’’ has become a core phrase in our day-to-day vocabulary. 

“Delulu’’ stems from the word Delusion. According to the online Cambridge dictionary, the definition of Delusion is the ‘’belief in something that is not true’’.

The trend has been led by presumably women on the internet, who have taken delusion and redefined it through making TikTok’s about feeling delusional about a crush, or being delusional about getting that job you are wanting so badly. It has become a term of endearment, self-awareness, and manifestation. 

It is pretty ironic that in the 18th century, a woman being ‘’delusional’’ often meant that she suffered from hysteria or was “crazy’’. This stereotype caused women to be exiled from society and cast as the weaker sex. For several years, women have been marginalized just purely for existing. Therefore, It is pretty empowering how, in the spur of the moment on the internet, so many women have taken being called “delusional’’ and gone with it. 

Manifesting has been widely popularized: meditating, crystals, or writing whatever you wish to come true in the back of a journal ten times is what we do as a society. Consequently, being Delusional is essentially a branch of manifesting. Often, advice that’s given tells you to “just be delusional, and it will happen,’’ or you hear your favorite YouTube vlogger say “I was just delusional’’ and that way, reached the pinnacle of their success. 

However, sometimes, this representation of delusion can be faulty. Of course, no one just sat and spoke/thought things into existence. That desire for success fundamentally motivated that YouTuber to invest in good filming equipment, dedicate time to editing videos, and build a social media presence to prosper as a social media personality. 

So yes, they may have been initially “delusional’’ about what they wanted to achieve. However, that hunger for achievement led them to take the necessary steps to realize their dreams. 

Therefore, setting goals that sometimes seem somewhat out of reach is encouraged. However, it is essential to note that you know that nothing just happens; you have to work for these things to happen. A combination of desire and determination takes you where you want to be. 

I may sound like a pessimist and like I am undermining the power of being “delulu’’ but I think being “delulu’’ is looking at the world through rose-coloured sunglasses. It brings an element of thrill and excitement into your life.

For example, you have just met this guy and are totally infatuated with him. Suddenly, you are planning your wedding and the names of your children. It is just the thrill of new love and possibilities that are feeding your delusions. It is innocent but extreme however, you subconsciously know it is just lighthearted fun. 

Then you have the other aspect of delusions. The goal setting delusions – career prospects or school orientated. These delusions provide you with a sense of purpose because, at the end of the day, you are striving to work towards something. As long as you can dream it, see it, you can achieve it- as cheesy as it sounds. 

The story’s moral is that your delulu will come trulu with a pinch of realism. 

Lila Piotrowska

St. Andrews '26

Hey I'm Lila! I am currently a second-year student at St Andrews, studying Classical Studies and English. In my free time you can find me shopping, reading, pretending to be a rockstar at open mics and of course drinking lots of coffee :)