This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

So you’ve decided you want an internship. You could be forgiven for not knowing where to start; it seems like there’s a flood of media pressuring students to hustle and get that perfect work placement, and a drought of practical information outlining how to do it. Let’s break the whole process into a nice, comforting set of steps:

Step One: Brainstorm

When to do it: Early November

The first step is to sit down with pen and paper and think about the connections you already have—many students get internships by reaching out to someone they already know. Your mother’s friend’s brother works at a consulting firm? Put him on the list. You once won an essay contest and one of the judges was from a publishing house? Make a note. Your high school English teacher has a sibling who works as a community organizer? Write it down! Even if there’s no one you’re dying to reach out to, this brainstorming process can help you to start thinking about what kinds of opportunities you’re interested in.

Step Two: Research (and break out the spreadsheets!)

When to do it: Mid-November

Once you’ve considered the people already in your (admittedly extended) circle of acquaintances, it’s time to think more broadly. There are two ways to go about this. First, you could look for pre-existing internship positions. If you take this route, start sooner rather than later, because application deadlines can be anywhere from December to March. Collate a spreadsheet of internship programs you find, and make sure to note their deadlines and any contact info you find.

The second way to research is to simply look for organizations where you might like to work. Think local: where are you going to be over the summer (or for the period of time you’re looking to fill), and what organizations are based near there? You’ll be cold-emailing, so try to think of some places which would be grateful for your help. This means that there’s no shame in finding an internship somewhere small; in fact, those are often the places who are most willing to give you bigger responsibilities!

Step Three: Apply or Reach Out

When to do it: By the deadline, OR after the New Year

Most applications for summer programs aren’t due until after the New Year (one notable exception is some government agencies, who might need to run a background check). It’s never too early to formulate some killer interview answers though—so if you’re itching to do more, feel free to work on your answers to “why do you want to work here?” and “tell us a little bit about yourself”. Make sure to write the applications themselves with plenty of time to spare; no need for unnecessary stress later on!

If you’re cold-emailing about a summer position, wait until at least Mid-January. A lot of organizations have extremely busy holiday seasons, and won’t be ready to think about the summer until the mania has subsided. 

So that’s it: three manageable steps to finding an internship. Of course, these are just suggestions based on my experience; you might find that the process looks completely different for you, and that’s okay too. Equally okay is deciding not to pursue an internship at all—sometimes we all need a break, especially nowadays. If you follow these steps, I hope they help! If you decide to sit this round out, I support that too, and I hope you’re curled up somewhere with a good novel. Happy internship-hunting! (Or indeed, taking a well-deserved break.)

Charlotte Perkins

St. Andrews '21

Charlotte Perkins is a final-year International Relations student at the University of St Andrews. When she’s not in the library contemplating life’s rich pageantry, she’s an avid performer, music director, and bread baker.
The University of St Andrews chapter of Her Campus!