This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Wellies, fairy lights, live music and mud: This year’s Welly Ball certainly has not failed in providing us with a unique experience. 

Like almost every year since 2007, the event was held in Fallside Mill, a beautiful, rustic complex 20 minutes away from the university, which was decorated with fairy lights for the full magical countryside effect. 

Upon arrival, guests were greeted with canned cocktails provided by one of the event’s sponsors—who definitely did not cut down on the alcohol to mixer ratio, a foolproof way to get your guests in the mood for a unique night out! Meanwhile, the sounds of bagpipes followed the guests into the dining area, in true Scottish tradition.

As usual, the dining area was divided between the marquee and the main area, to provide the participants of the St Andrews Clay Challenge the opportunity to announce their winners and celebrate after an intense day of competition—special shoutout to the St Andrews Mixed team, who came first in their division. These diners, coming from more than 14 different universities across the UK, were serenaded by the student band ‘The Slick,’ which performed our favourite hits wonderfully. 

As the night progressed, dinner flew by (literally) and the fireworks began. Flocks of guests were led outside, stomping through the mud in their welly boots and ball gowns, to witness 20 minutes of stunning fireworks—which were especially fascinating for dinner guests already a few drinks in. With this, the after party officially began!

DJs replaced bands and dining rooms became dance floors, creating a runway for the black tie Welly outfits that never cease to surprise us. Seriously, when are we going to officially replace heels with wellies? Mini dresses with glitter details paired with muddy wellies from a day out in the countryside, black suits tucked into brown (or were they blue?) welly boots—this year guests were really giving the Met gala a run for their money! 

From Taylor Swift’s 2000s hits which destroyed our vocal chords, to electronic haus beats which transported us to London’s night scene, the DJs provided us with great sets to dance unrhythmically to, and by this point we were all thanking our wellies for allowing us to jump without restraint. 

As the night came to an end, students were brought closer together (physically) as they crowded by the cloakroom. Coats were mismatched and magically disappeared in the storage room. Guests pushed into one another, mimicking a battle front, ready to take on the students working the cloakroom. In the end most people managed to secure their belongings and the others were left to cross their fingers and hope that their coats would be found during the folllowing week’s lost and found. A truly chaotic event that proves the size of this year’s guest list. Hopefully this means that this year’s ball will beat last year’s charity donation of £33,000 to the Charlie Waller Trust. 

All that’s is left to do is wait for the committee’s announcement—and of course for the photos!

Vera Fortun Marco

St. Andrews '26

Vera Fortun is a second-year English and IR student at the University of St Andrews. Apart from writing for Her Campus, she enjoys writing fiction prose and playing around with poetry. When she is not writing you can find her nose in a book, searching for new pieces to add to her wardrobe or seeking out new coffee shops around town.