This Week We Love: Freshers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

This week we love our newest students here at St Andrews, the Freshers! Seeing all the new faces reminds us of our first weeks, months, and year in St Andrews. They remind us of awkward moments and of new friends and new experiences. Freshers make us nostalgic for our own first year, and this is why we love them. 

As I have been looking for academic children, I have approached groups of people who, it turned out, are not Freshers. As awkward as those encounters were, it goes to show that the Freshers have mastered the art of looking like a St Andrews student in record time this year. This is great for them, but was not to great for my quest for children. 

To the Freshers: enjoy every moment of this year. Go to all the Balls. Go to the Bop. Go to your lectures. And do not be afraid to join in with whatever activities interest you. If you get lost, look for a friendly face and ask directions; we were all in your shoes once. 

To the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years: Remember how scared/excited/thrilled you were in 1st year and don’t begrudge the Freshers this pleasure. And be nice when they ask you for directions or show up at a meeting a few minutes late. 

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.