The Ultimate Guide to British Lingo… …for American students who are Studying Abroad and therefore are hopelessly confused!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.
*Just because the British speak English doesn’t mean there aren’t a few discrepancies when attempting to hold a conversation with them!

1. Cheers: 

OBVIOUSLY, this is used when drinking with friends. However, it can also be used when saying goodbye, such as “cheers” or “Cheers then,” and it means thank-you. 

2. Toastie: 

Just the cuter, British version of a grilled cheese. It can either be a toasted sandwich or a snack. 

3. Kitchen Roll: 

Synonymous with “paper towel roll” yet sounds much classier. Huh, must be the British. 

4. Chips: 

The British version of French fries, and it’s called this since the potato is literally cut into chips. Regardless, when offered chips, the answer is ALWAYS yes. How can you say no when it just sounds so much more appetizing? 

5. Fit: 

I know, you think of someone who’s in great shape right? Instead, think of someone who’s VERY good looking. 

6. Banter: 

Some nice, witty back and forth conversation? Nope, it’s gossip or, better yet, cheeky chat!

7. Good shout: 

Occurs when you see someone who looks like someone or something else and you tell a friend. If your friend agrees with you, then he or she will say, “Good Shout!” It’s most common on a night out, but it can take place anywhere at any time. 

8. Flatmates: 

Similar to the term “roomie”, but these people share a flat, meaning an apartment, with you. Quite grown-up isn’t it? 

9. Hall: 

We’re all used to using the term dorm, but it’s time to adopt this one while abroad. Thus, we live in a hall of residence in a flat with our flatmates. How’d I do?

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter. 
Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews