Transgender Day of Visibility

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Yesterday was Transgender Day of Visibility! 2017 has been a difficult year for the trans community since the Drumpf Administration, so to show support and celebration of the trans community, here are some things you can do for Transgender Day of Visibility and beyond!

1. Take opportunities to learn more about the history of the transgender community and the fight for visibility. Often, history likes to erase the contributions of trans men and women, and learning more about trans history is a way to combat that. Read up on the Compton Cafeteria Riots of 1966, trans women of color participating in the Stonewall Riots, and much more.

2. Organizations and charities focused on helping the trans community are always in need of support and donations, with only 10% of grants to LGBTQ organizations going to trans organizations. Here’s a list of resources to check out!

3. If you’re an ally, always ask first so you don’t out your trans friends in an unsafe/uncomfortable environment.

4. Learn and keep up to date with trans language and be aware of the difference between gender identity, gender expression and sex assigned at birth. Hold people accountability when they are being cissexist or transphobic. Also be aware of your own language, and hold yourself accountable.

5. Recognize and help make trans spaces intersectional with regards to race, sexuality, disability, etc. This is especially important when it comes to trans women and people of color, as transmisogyny and racism are sometimes overlooked or ignored.

6. Support trans media and trans artists to educate yourself on issues the trans community is facing and help fight discrimination. Positive trans representation and visibility in media is just one way to encourage visibility of the trans community.

Happy belated Transgender Day of Visibility! <3

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p