Top 5 Binge-Worthy Netflix Originals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

I know we are all busy, what with it being the end of week three now… But between the never-ending deluge of work and the crushing responsibility of everything else in my life, I still like to take the time to catch up on my Netflix shows. Here are my suggestions for the top five binge-worthy Netflix originals :) 

1. Jessica Jones

Though it is does belong in the superhero-filled Marvel Universe, Jessica Jones is a gritty drama that centers around a woman trying to escape her mind-controlling abuser and who also happens to posses superhuman qualities. Jones is played by the wonderful Kristen Ritter, who brings a remarkable vulnerability to the otherwise powerful and inspiring character. The main antagonist is portrayed by David Tennant, whose creepy charisma is relentlessly terrifying. A tear jerker but a must watch. 

2. Sense8

This show will also send you on a roller coaster of emotions, but I promise the ride is worth every second of the stomach-wrenching turmoil. The basic premise is that eight people become telepathically and telekinetically connected and must work together to defend each other. Created by the Wachowski sisters, this show features are beautifully diverse cast, including all races, genders and sexualities and quite literally traversing continental boundaries (watch the show and that will become clear). Sense8 is probably one of my favorite shows of all time and is definitely necessary viewing. 

3. Stranger Things

A quick watch that will thrill you from start to finish, and the kids are absolutely adorable! Stranger Things will take you back to the 1980s in America, with the appropriate music and fashion to match. An homage to classic sci-fi and horror films, the show feels reminiscent of The Twilight Zone, only with a much cuter cast. Seriously though, the young actor for Eleven (really is her name, I swear) is phenomenal – she has more expression in her eyes that I can muster in my entire face. Enjoy and prepare to be spooked! 

4. Scream 

Another tribute to the horror genre but this show is a bit more ‘adult’ and has much more gore in it. It is based off of the classic film of the same title and the premise even begins in the same way, but believe me, there are twists :) Also, the show’s writers make it very clear that they know this is a reboot of sorts – there are lots of tongue-in-cheek references to the characteristic progression of horror films that make the show even more enjoyable. Scream is the perfect binge-watch for any scary movie night – just in time for Halloween! 

5. The Get Down

I have not seen this show yet, but the trailers and the reviews just make it seem like everything that I have ever wanted. Created by Baz Luhrmann, who is also famous for the timeless Moulin Rouge, this show is set in South Bronx, New York, and chronicles the beginning of the hip-hop movement. It has also has a beautifully diverse cast and allows the voices of typically disenfranchised people to be heard and centered. This is next on my list :) 

Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!