Oatmeal
Oatmeal
Christin Urso / Spoon

Three Warm and Easy Meals to Keep You Cozy This November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As an American studying in Scotland, I was not thrilled with the university dining hall experience. Not only was the food underwhelming, but I also struggled with anxiety surrounding the dining hall; who would I sit with, and what if I wanted to grab a quick bite without having to talk to anyone? I started wondering if it would be possible to make filling meals on my own, without having to spend half an hour in the community kitchen or use a bunch of kitchen appliances. The good news is, I struggled so you don’t have to. Whether you have a kitchen or not, here are some easy and healthy meals that you can make without spending too much money or time. All you’ll need is a microwave and/or kettle!

Oatmeal

Not only is oatmeal incredibly nutritious, but it’s also easy to make. All you need is a kettle (please note that kettles are not allowed in St Andrews dorm rooms, but they are provided in the common kitchens)! This filling meal is a dry food that you can keep in your room, if you are worried about keeping food in common spaces. All you have to do is pour your oats in a bowl, take it up to the kitchen, and wait a few minutes for the kettle to heat up water. Once you get back to your room you can add other items to your oatmeal, such as nut butter, honey, cinnamon, nuts, dried fruit, or fresh fruit. You can keep all of these toppings in your room without having to refrigerate them, which makes oatmeal not only a nutritious and filling meal, but an incredibly easy one as well. 

Soup

Soup is one of my favourite meals of all time, simply because it is so easy! All you need to do is microwave it. This meal also comes in a wide array of options, so you can find a flavour that you enjoy (many soups can also contain a good assortment of vegetables if you’re looking for something on the healthier side). Especially during the winter, a cup of soup can be the perfect meal to warm you up. Plus, it comes with accessories! For under £3 on Amazon, you can get a special cup for microwaving soup with a ventilator lid and handle so you don’t have to worry about soup splashing the walls of the microwave, or burning your hand when you’re carrying it back to your room (something I found absolutely life changing!). If you want a little more substance to your meal, try dipping in some pieces of bread (I enjoy using pita bread!), or making some instant rice with a kettle to add into your soup.

Peanut Butter Toast

In the spirit of having things you can use in multiple ways, this recipe uses many of the foods already discussed in previous recipes! Making a sandwich or toast is a super simple meal that you can make in many different variations, but my personal favourite is peanut butter. If you can, toast the bread; not only does this make spreading your toppings easier, but it also makes this a warm meal with an extra crunch. Next, simply take your bread and spread on a topping like peanut butter, jam, or Nutella if you want to treat yourself. Then, you can use many of the toppings you might use for oatmeal, such as sliced bananas, cinnamon, honey, or nuts. I also enjoy spreading some crunchy granola on top of the toast.

These suggestions may seem a little basic, but the core values of any uni student’s lifestyle are things that are easy, quick, and cheap. If you have the time and resources, by all means cook more elaborate meals, but for those of you who live in a dorm and who don’t always want to go to the dining hall for food – these meals are for you. And if all else fails: the Tesco £3 Meal Deal is a way of life, and an easy thing to grab in town before you head back to your dorm for the night.

Emily Childress

St. Andrews '22

Emily Childress is a third year at St Andrews and is from Haymarket, VA, USA. She is also an English major in the Joint Degree Programme with the College of William & Mary. In her free time, she enjoys travelling, telling any dog she sees how cute they are, trying out different coffee shops, and looking contemplatively out over the North Sea as she pretends to be in a Brontë novel.
Alexandra is a fourth year at the University of St Andrews in Scotland studying English and Modern History. She is also the founding president and editor-in-chief for the St Andrews Her Campus chapter, and can usually be found buried in a theatre rehearsing for the next musical, opera, or play. In her spare time, she loves writing creative fiction, traveling, and generally enjoying living in Scotland!