Three Staples You Need For This Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As we closely follow the trends of the upcoming fashion week, we find ourselves drawn to a meticulously curated yet completely unrealistic expectation of our wardrobes. Our colourful paraphernalia faced a seemingly eternal hibernation over the past year, and of course we are all craving the novelty of wearing our most eccentric sweaters and trench coats. However, as we turn to breaking this conformity and routine, we need some sort of criteria to guide us, and a take on elevated essentialism that combines avant garde with longevity is just the checklist we need. Here are some items that “fall” (sorry) perfectly into this style guide.

1. Cardigan co-ords

Drops in temperatures provide the perfect opportunity to bring out our favourite cashmere sweaters. However, we can still indulge in these trusted pieces while extricating colourful prints and maintaining our vibrant palettes. Cardigan co-ords have become all the rage, dominating the high street in Zara windows, and inspiring in luxury labels like Rosie Assoulin. With everyday garments taking on a new life, these co-ords can easily be used to advance our fall wardrobes. This is the perfect garment to dress up or down, using it as a piece to layer with a stylish blazer, or as an everyday outfit with a subtle sophistication.

1. Knee boots 

With the prioritization of sartorial craftsmanship and long-lasting items, we are all hunting for a trend with no expiration date. There is no better example of this than a definitive pair of knee-high boots. Finding the perfect ratio between being put together and not being too OTT, these boots are an autumnal must. However, if you insist on adding flair to your wardrobe this season, take the unconventional route and invest in a pair of cowboy boots. Pair with a chunky knit sweater, or as a brave addition to a monochrome look.

1. Oversized totes 

With the inevitable routine of rushing from class to class, an XXL tote is one solution to the over-packing we face as uni students. Gone are the days of fraying handles and crammed textbooks, replaced by a quick fix that combines style with practicality. This may seem surprising considering the fact that last season was dominated by an excess of ridiculously petite hand bags, but who’s going to say it? Aren’t we all tired of trying to find new ways to fit our phones into our purses? And so, while we move away from making fashion statements and acknowledge the fact that a Jacquemus Le Chiquito won’t be of great help during the university semester, we welcome oversized totes with open arms. A great place to start your search is sustainable fashion brand, Arket.

As our pinterest boards change from cottage core to cable knit, we face the struggle of attempting to curate a whole new wardrobe for the upcoming months, with seemingly endless different necklines and silhouettes to choose from. Luckily, fashion brands are doing all the work for us, assembling collections that are representative of our courage and freedom to once again express ourselves for an appreciative audience, rather than just our bedroom mirror.

Lucy Hasani

St. Andrews '24

Hello! My name is Lucy and I am a student at the university of St Andrews. Along with spending time with friends, I also love fashion and writing and I can't wait to combine these two interests together for Her Campus!