The “I” in Valentine’s- How to Celebrate Yourself this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Valentine’s Week is in full swing! 

A holiday that is synonymous with romantic love, where couples celebrate their relationship and anywhere you go this week, you will surely not be able to escape heart candies and red roses. But in the midst of the romantic fervor, it is essential not to forget another significant aspect of love: self-love. I have spent the last 21 years having never celebrated Valentine’s Day with a romantic partner, and the one thing I have mastered is how to put the “i” in Valentine’s. 

This Valentine’s Day, why not shift the focus inward and celebrate yourself? 

Embracing self-love can be empowering, uplifting, and ultimately lead to a deeper sense of fulfillment. Here are 4 meaningful ways to celebrate this holiday by yourself.

1. Self care 

Instead of waiting for someone else to show you love, love yourself first. Been wanting to get that spa treatment for the longest time? Get it.

Wanting to get your nails done? Book an appointment at the salon! Get it. 

Been eyeing your favorite piece of jewelry for the longest time and need an occasion to buy it? Get it. 

Put on your plushest robe and eat your favorite cookies this Valentine’s Day. You deserve it. It’s time to make yourself feel as pampered and relaxed as possible.

2. Pass love forward 

So what if you do not have a romantic partner to celebrate this holiday with– pass love forward by sending something special to your friends and loved ones. PALentine’s and GALentine’s are increasingly popular among GenZ! Just a simple act of service like writing a card, buying flowers, or gifting them a box of chocolates is the simplest way you can show affection towards your loved ones this Valentine’s Day.

3. Write yourself a love note

Love notes are not always meant for someone else;, sometimes they can be written to oneself too. We often express our love to others and forget the fact that we need to appreciate ourselves too. This year, write yourself a note stating all reasons that make you different from others and practice gratitude. 

4. Celebrate your journey

Take a moment to appreciate yourself and all that you’ve accomplished. Reflect on your strengths, achievements, and the obstacles you’ve overcome to boost self-esteem and promote a positive self-image. 

If not this year, I am certainly hopeful one year you will too find a romantic partner to celebrate this holiday with, and it is coming to you sooner than you think! There are other types of love around as well, and these are just as valid! 

Syna Singh

St. Andrews '24

Syna Singh is a third year at St Andrews majoring in Financial Economics and Management. She is originally from India but has lived her whole life in sunny Dubai. Photography, traveling, tennis and blogging are some of her interests. In addition to that, she hates being unproductive but also loves binge-watching true crime series, kdramas, rom-coms and of course, The Office!