Career > Money

The Hidden Costs of the Female Student (and How to Budget Accordingly)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

The “Pink Tax” rose to popularity almost a decade ago as a way to describe price increases for female beauty products: the extra ten percent for a pink razor, or the twenty percent price hike for a blazer half the size and quality of a men’s one. But the phenomenon goes much deeper, putting different pressures on women and men in relation to spending. 

There’s an unspoken expectation for women, particularly female university students, to maintain a certain level of cleanliness and modernity in appearance. What is not often discussed is just how expensive such a lifestyle is – regardless of the gradient from stereotypically “high maintenance” to standard. Though the causes of such a contrast are multi-layered, there are many simple ways to budget around it.

The primary cause of the spending discrepancy between men and women is clothing and beauty. While men spend more overall, including more on food and other products, women spend up to 76% more on clothing. Women, on average, also spend more on beauty, skincare, and health supplements. 

It is, ironically, a myth that women spend more than men. While it’s easy and quick to assume that we are big spenders, this could not be further from reality. Financial magazines are more likely to call women aggressive spenders and men focused on money, perpetuating the myth that women over-consume. It is understandable that money myths are controlled by men, considering that finance is a male-dominated industry, and that women have, historically, received lower income due to the wage gap. Though income for women has risen in recent decades, men are still seen by society as sole or primary providers. 

But from a young adult perspective, there is undoubtedly pressure to spend more as a woman. While preconceived notions of men paying for dinners are fading, the insistence on appearing conventionally attractive is perhaps stronger during university years. There are skincare routines, jewelry, eyebrow waxes, and a different dress for each party. Yes, all of these are inherently an immense privilege. But among two university students of the same socioeconomic status, gender molds a very different spending outcome. 

So how can university students be conscious of this – and what are some ways to make it more affordable? 

1. Student discounts

They are truly everywhere. Websites like Unidays and Studentbeans offer discount codes from 10 to 40 percent. Products range from clothing to technology, and it is an easy way to save money if already purchasing an item.

1. Questioning consumption patterns

Are you buying an object because you truly enjoy it, or because it’s expected? This is a common problem exacerbated by the often low and constrained budgets of a student. So called ‘basics’, such as a white tee or black boots, may not fit your lifestyle and taste. The purchase of these items would not be as useful as focusing efforts on your own personal taste. 

There is also a multi-million dollar market focused on advertising products: new hair oils, special-soled heels, skincare serums, vitamins…the focus is put on what is missing and brand new. In reality, the most important part of haircare, skin quality, and health is much more in the basics than up-charged products. 

1. Buy used

It’s safe to say that thrifting is a highly unoriginal concept for a Gen Z student. It is steeped in ‘alternative’ culture and a backbone to Gen Z’s label as environmentally-conscious. Despite surveys citing a dislike of fast fashion, Gen Z still consumes their majority of clothes from low cost corporations. But charity shops are at least fifty percent cheaper than buying new, and it allows for a more unique and memorable wardrobe. Used clothes tend to be more durable and of higher quality, allowing for even less spent in the long run. 

1. Capsule wardrobes

In a similar vein, capsule wardrobes rose to popularity along with minimalism in the mid-2010s. This involves purchasing high-quality basics and cultivating a small wardrobe. The look is seen as chic and no fuss – making it easier to get ready in the morning. For those who enjoy experimenting this may not be the right method, but for others it is an easy concept to help with budgeting. 

1. Pay for services selectively

A lot of traditional female beauty relies on services: nail salons, waxings, and frequent haircuts. While the skills and expertise of these businesses is valuable, it may not be realistic for a student budget. Truthfully many of these services can be done at home for next to nothing: the difference in the quality of home-done nails or wax strips is small, while the difference in price is substantial. 

A student’s spending nonetheless always depends on their own values. Though we are shaped by our surroundings, whether it is pressure to conform or fashion inspiration, it is important to take into account whether purchases are worth it, personally. Being a female student can incur extra costs, yes, but the ways to minimize that can be gratifying as well.

Natalie Olofsson

St. Andrews '25

Natalie is an economics student at the University of St Andrews originally from Boston, USA.