This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

From its controversial beginnings to becoming a beacon of nuanced conversations on sex, relationships, and personal growth, Call Her Daddy has undergone immense transformations since its initial launch in 2018. Originally co-hosted by Alexandra Cooper and Sofia Franklyn, the podcast quickly garnered attention for its bold discussions on sex and dating from a female perspective. As a longtime listener, I’ve witnessed the podcast’s evolution from its very first episode. While I can wholly recognize how problematic and toxic the majority of its early episodes were, I used to treat Call Her Daddy like a Pandora’s box of older-sister secrets. Over time, I feel as though I’ve matured in tandem with the podcast, discerning which lessons to disregard from its controversial beginnings and which insights to value from the thoughtful commentary that now defines its more recent episodes.

In appreciation of how far the show has come since its infancy in the podcast realm, keep reading to explore its journey from controversy to becoming a key voice in contemporary conversations about sex, relationships, and empowerment.

The Early Days: A Rise to Fame

Call Her Daddy burst onto the scene with episodes that dove headfirst into the nitty-gritty of sexual encounters and dating strategies. Titles like “The Gluck Gluck 9000” were indicative of the show’s unapologetic approach to female locker room talk. In essence, the podcast mirrored the candid, no-holds-barred conversations often found in male-dominated podcasts, introducing them to the realm of feminine content with humor and audacity. It was uncompromisingly raw entertainment designed to provoke and amuse.

The show was first released under Barstool Sports, and, thanks to its combination of humor, relatable sex advice, and a candid look at the hosts’ personal lives, the podcast’s ascent was meteoric. Its marketing genius lay in leveraging social media to create a community, the Daddy Gang, that was fiercely loyal and actively engaged. The early content, while controversial, struck a chord with a wide audience, propelling Call Her Daddy into the spotlight and fostering a platform where discussions about sex were normalized for a female audience, a domain previously dominated by content catered to men.

Controversies and Challenges

However, its journey hasn’t been without bumps. While the show was simultaneously lauded for its sexually liberating stance within feminism, critics contended that its underlying messages reinforced misogynistic norms, falling short of the progressive advancements it appeared to champion on the surface. The podcast’s early content often mirrored the problematic aspects of a male-dominated media landscape, sparking debates on its portrayal of sexuality and relationships. Titles like “You’re Just a Hole” and “SEXT ME SO I KNOW IT’S REAL” underscore how Call Her Daddy’s early content perpetuated the objectifying and, frankly, desperate mentality women have historically been encouraged to adopt regarding sex. The show’s heteronormative and sometimes casual approach to discussing sexual violence also drew criticism, challenging the hosts to navigate the fine line between entertainment and responsibility.

Host Changes and Restructuring

The departure of Sofia Franklyn and the subsequent solo direction by Alexandra Cooper in 2020 marked a pivotal moment in the podcast’s history. This transition allowed for a reevaluation of content and a shift towards a more inclusive and thoughtful discourse, gradually distancing Call Her Daddy from its original shock-value content.

Additionally, as the pandemic ran rampant across the globe, now-solo host Alex Cooper had to navigate both this need for a rebrand and the unprecedented circumstances of quarantine. The world had changed; dating and sex were on the back burner for many, prompting a reevaluation of the podcast’s direction in a myriad of ways.

Rebranding and Growth

In its latest incarnation, Call Her Daddy has made significant strides toward addressing mental and sexual health, focusing on empowerment rather than manipulation. Episodes like the documentary-style take on the overturn of Roe v. Wade signified a matured approach to content, aiming to make a tangible difference in the listeners’ lives. The show also began incorporating an interview series, starting with a major guest appearance: Miley Cyrus. Since then, other big-name celebrities—including Wiz Khalifa, Kim Kim Petras, and Gwyneth Paltrow, to name a few—have made appearances on the show. She’s used this series not only to garner an audience from various fanbases but to facilitate a greater diversity in perspectives. She has made great strides to include guests within communities she cannot represent herself, including the LGBTQIA+ community as well as the POC community. Cooper’s willingness to evolve and address past controversies has reshaped the podcast into a platform for meaningful dialogue, shedding its “toxic” reputation for a more enlightened identity.

Cooper has since commented on her past episodes and brand, respecting that they “got [her] where [she is]” now, but overall acknowledging that “it just pains [her] [to re-listen to old episodes] because [she’ll] hear [her] voice, and think, ‘That’s not me.’ [She] was so affected and playing such a character.” 

Since its advent and later reformation, the podcast’s impact has extended far beyond its initial scope, influencing conversations around modern dating, relationships, and personal empowerment. The Daddy Gang has evolved into a supportive community that actively participates in shaping the podcast’s direction, reflecting the broader cultural shift towards more nuanced discussions of sexuality and gender dynamics.

Future Prospects

Looking forward, Call Her Daddy is poised to continue pushing boundaries and fostering conversations that challenge societal norms. With Alexandra Cooper at the helm, its commitment to producing thought-provoking content promises a future of growth and innovation.

Additionally, since her recent breakaway from Barstool Sports and her major deal with Spotify, Alex Cooper has built her own podcast group entitled “Unwell Network.” Recruiting hosts starting with Alix Earle, Madeline Argy, and, most recently, Harry Jowsey, the original goals of Call Her Daddy are on track to flourish across a variety of new podcasters to continue to relay fresh ideas and perspectives to a variety of audiences these hosts will attract.

Takeaways

Reflecting on the evolution of Call Her Daddy, it’s clear that the podcast has transcended its origins to become a significant cultural force. What began as a source of entertainment has morphed into a platform for important conversations about sex, relationships, and self-empowerment. 

As an early listener, starting as an impressionable high-school teenage girl, the podcast certainly framed my perspective on sex in ways that both helped and hurt me. However, the transformation of the show alongside my own growth as an individual has opened my eyes to how its early content has shaped my attitudes toward sex and relationships. As it continues to grow and evolve, I hope its listeners, new and returning alike, understand its content in the spirit of the show’s goals: to foster open discussions, challenge societal norms, and provide a platform for female sexual empowerment and personal growth in an informed and respectful manner.

As a fan and a critic, witnessing this transformation has been both enlightening and inspiring, solidifying Call Her Daddy as a testament to the power of evolution and the impact media can have on cultural perceptions.

Kennedy Drolet

St. Andrews '26

Hi all! I'm a second year studying philosophy and psychology. In my life, I've often turned to writing as an outlet for creative expression and an opportunity to delve into topics I hold close to my heart. I'm excited to use this platform to continue to explore and share these passions.