Culture > News

The Byre Theatre’s future secured as university extends lease

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

A new deal to extend the University of St Andrew’s lease of The Byre Theatre will ensure the iconic venue’s future survival and stability.

The Byre Theatre on Abbey Street has been a cultural and theatrical hub since 1933 when it was built by journalist and playwright Alexander B. Paterson. Named for the barn originally located on the land there, the theatre was rebuilt in 1970 and remodelled in 2001. The distinctive building boasts a 216-seat auditorium and a 100-seat studio theatre, alongside bars, conference rooms, study spaces, and several lounges.

In 2013, the 89-year-old theatre was compelled to close temporarily due to serious financial problems, but was effectively rescued by the University of St Andrews’ offer to take over the operations of the theatre on a 25-year lease. Recently, Scotland’s oldest university has finalised a new deal with the Fife Council, which owns the theatre, extending the current lease by 15 years. The arrangement also guarantees the university the option of purchasing the building for a nominal fee when the lease expires in August 2054.

Although the deal effectively means that Fife Council will take a £445,000 hit, councillors on the relevant subcommittee were in agreement that this approach is the best-value possibility for local authorities and the wider community. The committee convenor, Councillor David Barratt, commented that: “It’s clear that there’s a lot of work gone into this already – it is a very valued asset and hopefully will continue to be over the coming years.” The decision would be music to the ears of famed James Bond actor Sean Connery, who lent his influence to the campaign to save the Byre Theatre in 2013.

To the students of St Andrews, who have benefited from the Byre’s professional theatre facilities as theatre-makers and audience members, the lease renewal means the securing of a highly prized creative space integral to university theatre in their town. One former student spoke about the significance of the venue to the vibrant arts community at the university and the high calibre of student productions there: ‘It’s important to have a serious venue in such a small town that sets a really high standard, and draws audiences well beyond the university community.’

Ruby Ekkel

St. Andrews '21

Ruby will be graduating with a Master of History from St Andrews this year. Originally from sunny Australia, she loves to write about the natural environment, travel, plant-based living, women’s history and student wellness. When not writing or tutoring, you can usually find Ruby making music with friends or enthusing about ancient Scottish castles.