Ten Organizations to Donate to in a Trump Presidency

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

With the fourth week of the Trump Presidency rolling around, it can sometimes feel like we’ve either travelled back to the 1950s or somehow jumped forward into a post-apocalyptic, Hunger Games-esque dystopian world. Either way, the world does not have the same feel to it – everything feels more dangerous, more precarious. Civil liberties and even our Constitution seem to hang in the balance, one mere Senate vote away from pushing our country off of the cliff we’ve been teetering on since November 9th.

But fear not! While it may be easier to throw our hands up and accept defeat, there are still ways to resist and to protect against the utter destruction of our country’s core values. From the Women’s March to the countless number of good-hearted lawyers flooding international airports, it is clear that the people are willing to fight.

However, the battle cannot be won with just numbers alone – we need the support of the many wonderful organizations that will soon come under attack within the next four years. Here are a smattering of organizations to support, whether that be with volunteering or donations. 

1. American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) 

This one can give some people pause as it is not an organization for civil rights but rather for constitutional rights. The ACLU speaks out against anything that violates the U.S. Constitution, like ya know, a #muslimban. You can also sign up for weekly emails and be alerted to any volunteer opportunities or major red flags in your local area. 

2. Planned Parenthood 

This organization provides free birth control, health check ups and, yes, even abortions. However, Trump has promised to defund Planned Parenthood, which could put the health and safety of millions of women at risk. 

3. Doctors Without Borders or Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF) 

MSF is a global medical humanitarian organization that sends doctors to the most neediest parts of our world – they have a tangible effect on the lives around them and would definitely benefit from any donations possible. 

4. Karam Foundation

I first heard about this wonderful group through Samantha Bee’s hit show, “Full Frontal.” The Karam Foundation specializes in giving young Syrian refugees a place to learn and to discover new talents while being provided a much-needed safe environment to do so. It truly is a one of a kind organization. 

5. Southern Poverty Law Center

SPLC is the cornerstone in the fight against hate and prejudice and they need our help more than ever. Not only did they classify the term “hate group,” but their entire center is founded upon “battling racial and social injustice” through “fighting hate,” “teaching tolerance,” and “seeking justice.” 

6. National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) 

This organization is literally one of the bulwarks in the fight for civil liberties and racial justice. Between police brutality and the recent confirmation of Jeff Sessions to Attorney General, the NAACP is going to have their hands full for the coming years. 

7. The Trevor Project 

This group is dedicated to providing support to gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning teenagers who need someone to listen without judgement. And if you live in the US, you can also volunteer to be a part of The Trevor Project as one of their chat volunteers. 

8. Sierra Club 

The Sierra Club is our nation’s oldest grassroots environmental organization, founded in 1802. According to their webite, their work has “helped to pass the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act and the Endangered Species Act”! With Trump wanting to dismantle the EPA completely, it seems like we need these fine people more than ever. 

9. Stand with Standing Rock 

This is the group that has been spearheading the push against hte Dakota Pipeline, that would run through Native land and would ruin the water supply indefinitely. It is incredibly important that this pipeline not be built but it will take every once of resistance to see this through in the coming years. 

10. Literally any organization from these links 

So I’m cheating a bit – this last one is kind of a “catch all” for the organizations I have not mentioned and trust me, there are A LOT. 

Jezebel: http://jezebel.com/a-list-of-pro-women-pro-immigrant-pro-earth-anti-big-…

Time Magazine: http://time.com/money/4566160/trump-election-charities-donate/

Happy protesting! 

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!