This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

After sitting exams and handing in final essays in December, many St Andrews students returned home for the holidays. However, no one could have known that by the time they were due back in town, the UK had already entered a new, significantly stricter phase of lockdown. With the wake of the new lockdown came renewed laws surrounding students returning to campus, and it was with a heavy heart that St Andrews Principal, Sally Mapstone, emailed students to announce that it was not advisable for students to return to campus until further notice. Under Scottish law, it is now illegal for students to return to their university campus (with an exception for essential purposes) until in-person teaching resumes, at the risk of academic repercussions such as suspension or being fined for traveling during lockdown.

People Inside Commercial Air Plane
Sourav Mishra / Pexels
So what does this mean for the students? I decided to delve into student’s decisions to stay home or return to St Andrews, as well as the social and financial implications of the decisions. To do this, I have interviewed a selection of students from different academic backgrounds and ages, and one thing is blatantly clear: the decision to bar students from returning to campus indefinitely has put student’s academic wellbeing and mental health in jeopardy. “I am staying home because I have no other choice,’’ said Priya Purdy, a third-year from Edinburgh. “It’s challenging because I haven’t been able to work as efficiently – I get distracted easily, and it’s hurting me academically.’’

Priya was not alone in her frustration. “I was planning on going back until we got that really scary email,’’ said Catharine Essex, a third-year from England. Catharine also commented on the lack of clarity from the University, “at first, we got an email saying that we could come back if it was essential to our wellbeing, and then they said that we could only come back for extreme circumstances. My question to the University is how do you quantify that? My mental health would probably be better in St Andrews, where I have access to an environment that is conducive to studying and my academic success, and where I always feel happier. However, my thought process at the moment is that I will have to stay put as my case is not ‘essential enough.’ That said, as soon as lockdown eases and I can legally travel, I plan to return no matter what.’’

On the other hand, Wilson Jones, a fourth-year from the U.S, decided to return to campus: “by the time the Principal sent out her email, my bags were already packed, and I was ready to go. This is the last semester of my last year [in St Andrews], and, ultimately, I’m really glad I came back.’’ While many fourth year students have shared this sentiment, it has been an ethical and financial dilemma trying to justify the journey back, in light of the University’s strong stance. 

It was immediately clear to me from these conversations that the vast majority of students are acting with the health crisis at the forefront of their considerations, but are having to take their own mental health and academic success into account as well. Adding to this stress is the role played by student’s residences. With hundreds of students finding themselves unable to return to campus, there has been widespread frustration expressed in regards to unforgiving landlords. Catherine commented, “housing and private accommodation becomes a huge issue when considering a return to campus, especially for people with financial difficulties.” My advice to students is to make an appeal for a rent reduction regardless of whether you think your landlord would be open to it, and have a frank conversation with your flatmates to make sure that you are all on the same page with regards to paying rent or choosing to end your lease.

eyeglasses with gray frames on the top of notebook
Photo by Dan Dimmock from Unsplash
On the subject of social and financial pressure, for many students, the stress of the new lockdown has created a sudden logistical nightmare. “One of my friends really wants me to come back because she lives alone and it is incredibly difficult to be doing that in an empty town right now,” said Catharine. “She’s saying that I should go on the train and state that my return is for wellbeing, but that’s easier said than done when it’s not you who could be fined. I’d have to go through both London and Edinburgh’s train stations. If you get fined that can go on your record, which is pretty scary – that’s too big of a risk for me.’’

Furthermore, with extra-curricular activities confined to virtual platforms, students are feeling less than enthusiastic about returning to a campus that lacks activities pertaining to their interests; “it’s been really difficult to find people who would make the effort to show up to an online debate anymore,’’ said Stella Rehbein, a Fresher’s Representative for Democrats Abroad. “At first, I actually had a flight booked to return to campus, but after receiving the Principal’s email and looking at the progression of the virus, I decided to stay put at least until we’re allowed to go back,’’ she said. 

The pressure is now on students to maintain their extracurricular activities, social lives, and wellbeing during one of the most difficult moments in their academic careers. Despite this, Catharine highlighted a moment of empathy from the University. “The first time throughout this entire pandemic that I actually felt some compassion from the school was when Dan Marshall (President of the St Andrews Student Association) wrote an email after the new lockdown was announced, basically saying ‘it’s a bad situation, but we’re all in it together and just have to get through it’ – that was the only time I’ve felt any kind of compassion or understanding from the university,’’ she said. 

It is no stretch of the imagination to suggest that St Andrews students are generally struggling now that the UK is in lockdown; however, students can find comfort in these moments of shared experience, compassion, and understanding. Despite the media portrayal of university students as one of the causes for the virus’ spread, the vast majority of us are acting in the best interests of everyone around us and doing our best to be respectful and safe. That said, student mental health has been at a record low during the pandemic, and it is critical that this is understood and responded to with empathy and unity. As Priya puts it, “if anything, we need more compassion at this time.’’

Anya Fonstein

St. Andrews '23

Anya is a third-year studying Modern and Medieval History at the University of St Andrews. Originally hailing from Brooklyn New York, Anya began writing for her school newspaper at the start of high school and has been committed to journalism ever since. She is an avid baker and enjoys the eating part just as much as the baking part!
The University of St Andrews chapter of Her Campus!