Starfields in Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

By: Imogen Thom

The climax of fresher’s week this year saw Craigtoun Park transformed into a St Andrews style music festival with 2000 guests in attendance for the FS launch party – Starfields. With debatably the best line up of live music the university has hosted, the night was a huge success and a good sign of events to follow run by the FS fashion team.

First up was King Charles, who had the most to offer in terms of musical talent and relevance, having recently collaborated and toured with Mumford and Sons. His performance was energetic and eclectic; with up-tempo tracks and gentler acoustic songs, it had something for everyone.

The View followed and weren’t particularly memorable, partly due to the large number of inexpensive drinks I’d consumed by that stage in the night, and partly because The View have had perhaps one well known hit, ‘Same Jeans’, which itself only reached number 3 in 2007. To be fair to the Scottish indie band, that one track did get a massive reaction from the crowd and their set took us right back to our teenage years.

The highlight, for me, was Radio 1 DJ Chris Stark’s set, which featured all the latest chart hits and dance tracks. Stark was able to work the audience and had the largest crowd running for the dance floor, with some impressive remixes of Passenger’s ‘Let Her Go’ and Bastille’s ‘Pompeii’.

The night was somewhat spoiled by the almost two hour hold up with the coaches transporting guests back to St Andrews. This was due to a mix up with Fife council and many guests were left queuing in the freezing cold making us all wish we’d chosen to walk to the union for ‘Rewind’ night, featuring Bradley and Paul of S Club 7. 

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.