spontaneous weekend trips (Part 2)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

You can never have too many day trip options!

5. Eden Mill Gin Tour

To be honest, who doesn’t want to spend a few hours sipping gin cocktails at a local distillery? Hop on the 99D towards Dundee and exit by the Ashgrove Buildings, where it’s only a two-minute walk to the Eden Mill Gin Tour. It’s £10/person, but you get four cocktails with it, so you’re #winning.

6. Riding at Barbarafield

Sure, you could go for a hike in the Scottish countryside, but you know what’s even better? Majestically trekking through the countryside on horseback. For £27/person, you can spend an hour riding through rolling hills and fields on a guided tour at Barbarafield Riding School. The best part? It’s a relatively easy journey to get to the stables. Simply hop on the 64 towards Glenrothes and exit at the Kingarroch Inn in Craigrothie.

7. Dundee

Okay, okay, hear me out – Dundee gets a bad rap, but the city is actually full of fun things to do. If you’re an art nerd, check out the McManus, a beautiful art gallery where admission is free. Shopaholic? Head to Overgate, where you can find both Primark and Topshop. Feeling peckish? Check out the Flame Tree Café for aesthetically-pleasing rainbow bagels.

8. Dunnottar Castle

If you’re feeling ambitious, take the two-hour journey to Dunnottar Castle, a gorgeous 14th-century castle that sits dramatically atop a cliff. If it feels eerily familiar, it’s probably because the castle inspired the setting for Disney’s Brave. Entry is £7 per person.

9. Afternoon Tea at the Rufflets

Honestly, who doesn’t want to sip Earl Grey and feel like Maggie Smith on Downton Abbey? This beautiful country estate offers a full afternoon tea for £23.50/person, which includes fresh sandwiches, homemade scones, and sweet treats. You could walk the forty minutes to the estate, but I wouldn’t recommend it – paying £6 for a taxi will save your feet.

With revision break quickly approaching, now is the perfect time to try out some of these day trips from St Andrews. Grab a few friends, choose your excursion, and get going. You won’t regret seeing a bit more of Scotland, and — more importantly — avoiding awkward run-ins with your tutor in Tesco.

Jody is a third-year English major with a weakness for nut butter and trashy reality television. Her talents include writing, food photography, singing the alphabet backwards, and laughing at her own jokes.
Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p