This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Now that the festive season is over and we’re back to the routine of university, it’s easy to feel like there’s little excitement in life at the moment. Indeed, it is said that the third Monday of the year is the saddest day (albeit scientists have dismissed the idea entirely). We still have some time before the evenings get lighter and the weather less… grey. This can feel demotivating as well as daunting.

But the benefit of a new year is that it provides a tangible starting point to look forward, as well as a chance to reflect on the past. It is perhaps an opportunity to think of the small joys we have in life, and how we can use those to make January and February feel less dulled. 

One way to beat the blues is to put together a kind of personal map for your 2023. You can include anything you like on this list, whether it’s places you want to travel, books you want to read, or jobs you want to land. There is no pressure at all to fit any certain mould. Your map can be visual, using photos and magazine clippings, or it could be more of a spreadsheet – find what works for you according to whichever type of person you are! The key thing here is not to get overwhelmed by the need to feel productive. Instead, try and see the process as something inspirational. Maybe a photo you see will encourage you to try something new! The idea behind this is to provide some optimism for the months ahead.

This said, one piece of advice I have always stood by is not to wish your life away. Vision boards are all well and good, but don’t let that distract you from the present! January and February can be enjoyable, you just have to implement things you find fun and uplifting. Personally, I love a coffee and a walk. Maybe it doesn’t count as a valid hobby, but it’s something which brightens up my day, whether it be a solo walk with a podcast, or a catchup with a friend. Yes, it’s cold outside, but St Andrews can also be cold AND sunny. Wrap up and go for a wander along West Sands, it will do wonders for your mind.

I think the hardest part of this year is the dark evenings which seem interminable. My advice here is to factor this into your plans. For example, if the idea of walking home to Lamond Drive from Central at 11 pm sounds unappealing, then think of something else to do. Invite your friends over before the sun sets, have a big old bowl of pasta paired with a glass of wine, and turn it into a sleepover/movie night. That way, no one has to walk home in the dark. In fact, cosy vibes will increase with the noise of the whistling wind outside (don’t test me statistically, I’m just assuming here). 

I’ve suggested here ideas to beat the blues which involve both looking ahead and living in the present. I think you can use whichever tactic works best for you. If imagining a summer trip to Italy is what will keep you going, then do that! It is important, however, to remember what is right in front of you. Time at university is special, especially somewhere as beautiful as St Andrews. You can think ahead to sunnier days if that’s what you need, but do so while enjoying crisp winter days, hats and scarves, and a warming hot chocolate.

Emma Gatrell

St. Andrews '24

Hi, I'm Emma! I'm studying History at St Andrews. Things I love include good books, cats, and drinking lots of tea.