Semester One Versus Semester Two: A Fresher’s Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Being a fresher during the first semester, at any university, is defined by one thing; the unknown. Come January freshers return with a new found knowledge of what it means to live as a student, making second semester a completely different experience. Here are a few distinctions about second semester that I have already noticed since being back.

1.  There is a new kind of accommodation panic. As a first year, you aren’t concerned about meeting roommates or finding your way around halls anymore but finding an actual grown up flat to rent. St Andrews is, of course, beautiful but it’s also very very small, making flat hunting here resemble a fight scene out of the Hunger games. It’s every man for themselves.

2.  Refreshers is rubbish and nowhere near as fun as freshers largely due to the fact that you do actually have to attend lectures and tutorials!

3. You don’t find yourself meeting as many new people all at once, so there is the bonus of not having to remember as many names. Its also comforting to know that you are coming back to people you already know.

4.  This point may seem petty, but it really is a game changer, knowing how and when to sign up for tutorials. Last semester taught us that if you are not on the ball, those 9am on a Monday or 5pm on a Friday spots will be yours.

5. Us freshers have learnt that planning ahead and keeping a proper diary with tutorial times, essay deadlines, flat meetings and social commitments are essential.  Yet stationary and organisation does not have to be a drag, as stores such as Paperchase or Waterstones have a great ranges to brighten up your desk!