A Royal Visit!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

To anyone who normally attends lectures or tutorials in the quad: you can count on spending some time seeking out the more far flung, obscure rooms on campus in the coming days. St. Salvators Quad will essentially be closed this week–accessible to staff only, and as a result, all classes have been moved. The closure is due a very high profile University visit: Prince William and Kate Middleton will be making their first official appearance at St. Andrews since the announcement of their engagement this fall!

The royal couple ,who graduated in 2005, are returning to formally kick off the  celebration of St. Andrews’ 600th Anniversary (yes, 600–the third oldest University in the English speaking world). The celebrations for the Anniversary will span from 2011 to 2013, marking the formal charter granted by Bishop Henry Wardlaw in 1411 to the official achievement of University status in 1413. Will and Kate will make their official appearance on Friday, joined by a lucky group of students and staff who will be granted access to the Quad at this time. Over 3500 student applications and 650 staff applications were submitted to catch a glimpse of the former students. Since so many people can not possibly be accommodated, ballots will be drawn, and the attendees will be announced at some point this week. If  you don’t make the cut, your chances of spotting the couple are not completely ruined, as there will likely be a chance to meet Will and Kate on North Street following the official launch.

So, when you find yourself frustrated, sweaty, and late this week– at the brink of abandoning your search for a displaced social anthropology lecture or IR tutorial, try not to be too annoyed. The royal visit is undoubtedly important, kicking off what is sure to be an exciting time to be a St. Andrews student!