Packing the perfect bag: tips for travelling light

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

We’ve all been there: you approach the ticket counter, strategically hiding your bulging duffel from the watchful eyes of Ryanair employees, claiming that it is your “personal item” and will surely, surely fit under the seat in front of you. Seeing right through your lies, the attendant forces you to pay an exorbitant amount of money simply to put your cherished belongings in the overhead compartment. Now you’ve just spent the cash you could have used on an Aperol Spritz somewhere along the Italian coast.

But it doesn’t have to be this way. Packing efficiently is a skill made easier with the right tools and a little practice (just think of it as an excuse to book a weekend getaway), and it doesn’t mean you won’t be both prepared and fashionable on your trip. Here are a few tried-and-true solutions to your packing woes just in time for those post-deadline excursions.

Finding the correct carry-on

The bag is the core component; too big and the airline will single you out in the blink of an eye, but too small and you won’t even fit all of your socks (and extra socks are important). Sometimes, there’s no way around paying extra for a bag, but you can avoid it if you play your cards right. The most tedious requirement is that your bag fits ‘comfortably’ under the seat in front of you, but in reality, you can shove, smush, and kick your way to making it fit.

Getting the correct travel bag is the first line of attack. One standout option is the “Large Travel Backpack” by SZLX, found on Amazon, by SZLX. Appearances can be deceiving; while this looks like a regular backpack, I have never witnessed a bag fit so many different pieces of clothing. It boasts compartments and sections and zippers and straps, can be opened from the bottom for easy access to shoes, has a place for your charging cables, and a sleeve for your laptop, to boot. I have been known to shove a full novel inside, along with half a week’s worth of clothing — a luxury when trying to fit all of your worldly belongings into a school bag. This Amazon pick is relatively inexpensive considering the amount of use it promises, and the plethora of features.

If you’re looking for a more varied, higher-quality alternative, Baboon to the Moon is known for their Go-Bags, which feature a dazzling array of sizes and colours. The “Small Go-Bag” is a bestseller, as you can wear it like a backpack or sling it over your shoulder like a duffel. They have a waterproof shell and are virtually indestructible, making them ideal for trips where the weather is unpredictable. They, too, fit more than they outwardly suggest, have handy pockets and pouches, and come with a lifetime warranty. 

Packing the essentials

Moving on to bags of a smaller size, how you pack your toiletries is an essential element of strategic packing that is often overlooked. Toiletries manage to take up a remarkable amount of room, even though they have to be contained in flimsy, clear plastic bags — the true villain of the carry-on. I have lost many a sunscreen and overpriced moisturizer to the hands of the security agents because I foolishly thought I could get away with not using a clear bag, or stuffing in too many products. 

Your best option is to pack simple and travel-sized. You can find sets of containers like these “Silicone Travel Bottles” by Gemice on Amazon, which are ideal for shampoo and conditioner. Dr. Bronner’s travel-size Liquid Castile Soap functions as a face and body wash, and can also be used as laundry or dish soap in a pinch. In most cases, anything beyond 2-in-1 is a red flag, but when saving space is a priority, exceptions are necessary. For toiletries, accessories, and snacks alike, Stasher Bags are perfect, as they’re made of durable silicone, resealable, easily washable, and come in clear.

Creating a capsule wardrobe

Now that you have more bags than you know what to do with, how will you approach style? How can you still pack for the season, the activities, and let’s be honest, the pictures? The solution is a capsule wardrobe. Essentially, you want to pack a set of basic pieces that can easily be matched with one another. This makes it easy to switch up outfits, without sacrificing room. Whether you’re hitting the beach, the slopes, or somewhere in between, you’ll need to pack for the weather. While your outerwear varies, your basic staples can remain the same. Ditch the three pairs of jeans (they all look the same, anyway) in favour of a more neutral pair, and try styling them with a baby tee, or an unbuttoned Oxford shirt. The tee can be repurposed for going out, and the Oxford turns into an easy cover-up the next day.

A sweater pairs nicely with jeans for a casual day outfit, and easily slips over a shift dress for evenings out. A pair of classic white sneakers go with virtually everything. Bringing your running shoes because you think you might sneak in a jog or two (hint: you will not) or a pair of heels that would ruin your life if lost or stolen is likely not your wisest option. Instead, try bringing a pair of loafers or a low heel — comfortable enough to wear during the day, and still appropriate for a nice dinner or drinks. Accessories can be your best friend if used in moderation; a standout coat, fun sunglasses, a unique scarf, or even a simple baseball cap can diversify your outfits, and keep you protected from the elements.

Capsule wardrobes have recently taken the world by storm, so if you are seeking inspiration, look no further than Pinterest or online articles, where you are sure to find lists of specific pieces for your trip to a chilly Scandinavian town or a Greek island. In essence, packing individual pieces that you can use interchangeably makes for a stress-free packing and fashion experience. 

Having tools to help you streamline your organization can be so beneficial, and whether you start out with a full set or with a single element, you can slowly build an organizational arsenal.  Bringing a carry-on backpack narrows the possibility of your luggage getting lost on an airline, or stolen at a baggage claim. While I can’t speak for what you do with it when you arrive at your destination, minimizing the amount of luggage you haul onto perhaps the world’s tiniest planes can only yield a positive outcome. Streamlining the way you select what comes with you on a trip can provide ease of mind, and will have people questioning how you managed to fit that many outfits in your bag, right after they’ve commented on how wonderful all your pictures turned out. Once you’ve mastered the art of packing, nothing stands between you and your weekend excursions, except maybe those Monday deadlines.

Grace Roberts

St. Andrews '24

Grace is a fourth-year at the University of St Andrews, studying English and Comparative Literature. She's from New Jersey and loves to travel (the more mountainous, the better), talk all things design and lifestyle, and give unsolicited skincare recommendations. She can usually be found practicing restraint in bookstores, using the em dash to excess, or perfecting her french toast recipe in the free time she actually doesn't have.