New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

So we survived the supposed end of the world on 21st December 2012, and welcomed 2013 – hope all of you had a great night heralding in the New Year!

A lot of people tend to make resolutions or promises that we wish to keep throughout the year to become better people and to have a better year than the year before. While I never managed to really keep up with the ones I had made at the beginning of the year; this year I’ve decided I’m going to make a set of resolution that I would be able to keep until the end of the academic year.

1. Join a club or society that requires me to get off from my lovely derriere and work off all those gazillion calories I consumed over the Winter Break because let’s be honest – paying for a gym I’m not going to use is well money that could be used for something else *ehem drinks at the Vic*
  2. Put more effort into assignments and assigned readings- leaving everything to last minute might have worked for my undergraduate course but not anymore.
  3. Finish a non-academic book once a month – rereading the Harry Potter series does not count!
  4. Keep a memory jar- every time I have a great night, hilarious conversation in class or a moment that I wish to last forever I will write it down on a small piece of paper and put it into a jar. After handing in my thesis, I’ll open the jar and relive all the great moments that made St. Andrews feel like home.
  5. Volunteer somewhere in Scotland during the Spring Break instead of heading back home to Malta to veg out in front of TV and eat 24/7.
  6. Find a part time job within St. Andrews- it’s the only way I can think of taking part in the Town and Gown tradition short of waltzing around in my gown around said town.

I’m not planning to change the world, not planning to change myself to someone I won’t recognise in the mirror- but I’m planning to make myself better and work with what I have already.

Have a great 2013!

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.