Culture > News

Mahsa Amini and Women’s Fight for Autonomy in Iran

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

22-year-old student Mahsa Amini and her brother were travelling to Tehran to see family when the police suddenly pulled them aside for questioning. Moments later, Mahsa was arrested for breaking Iran’s strict morality policies of dress code. Her hijab was reportedly too loose, improper, and inappropriate – a violation that resulted in her being transported to a detainment centre, where she was forced to take a re-education class. She died in police custody three days later. Medical scans reveal skull fractures caused by violent blows to the head.

Mahsa Amini’s death has filled the world with heated protests and cries for action. Young women and men are speaking out against the compulsory hijab law in Iran, demanding rights for women to choose how they dress. Meanwhile, Iranian authorities deny allegations of the police beating despite testimonies from an eyewitness at the scene. The regime insists Amini died due to a heart attack and is now demonising protesters by calling them enemies of the Islamic revolution. This denial further invokes the anger and moral outrage of demonstrators across the nation. 

As protests continue to escalate, the regime has launched severe crackdowns in which forces are arresting activists and firing tear gas at the demonstrators.  Amnesty International has reported at least 41 deaths, including four children, since the start of the protests. However, Iranian human rights groups have reported an even higher toll. Undeterred by the government’s assaults, courageous young women are still standing in front of armed officers, removing their hijabs and chanting, “Death to dictator!”.

“No matter where in the world we are, women have the right to speak and condemn what is happening to us as women. It doesn’t matter if violence exists in Latin America or in the Middle East. We must not remain silent… be our voice. We don’t deserve to die for wanting to have dignity.” expresses Naida Murad, Iraqi human rights activist. 

While Muslim women in parts of Denmark and France face dangers for choosing to wear hijabs, women in Iran are murdered for even slightly breaching the strict compulsory hijab laws. For many, wearing the hijab is empowering and liberating, but for others, it can represent a loss of autonomy. Around the world, laws that govern the wearing of hijab all boil down to a repressive pattern of denying Muslim women their right to freedom of choice. 

As actress Charlize Theron says, “no woman should have to fear retaliation, imprisonment or death for making choices about what they wear or how they present themselves to the world”. The way women choose to wear their clothing and express themselves is and should be a woman’s fundamental right. 

Erin Yip

St. Andrews '24

A fourth-year student pursuing English and Psychology at the University of St. Andrews who loves literature and writing!