Love Island All Stars: Looking for love again or fame and fortune?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Once again, our seasonal depression has been lifted by a trip to South Africa, where a villa full of former hit reality TV stars await recoupling, dumping, and some raucous games of truth or dare. ‘Love Island All Stars’ is the newest version of the original ‘Love Island’ in which former islanders are taking a chance to try their luck at finding love once again. The rules are the same. Six weeks without phones, the time, or any knowledge of the ‘outside world.’  But there’s a twist.  Most of the contestants already know of each other, either platonically or romantically. Since the show was announced in 2023, the question of which islanders will return and which of their former partners will join them has been on everyone’s mind. It remains to be seen: is it the cash, the prospect of reconciliation, or just an honest stab at dating in 2024 bringing the islanders back to where it all began? 

Most contestants exit ‘Love Island’ with a significant social media following. Molly Mae, now influencer and former contestant who met her fiancé Tommy Fury on the reality dating show in 2019, now boasts 7.9 million Instagram followers. ‘All Stars’ (former islanders) with the most Instagram followers include Mitchel Taylor with 317K and Hannah Elizabeth with 450K – successful former ‘Love Island’ contestants. Elizabeth is best known for getting engaged to fellow islander Jon Clark during the original series 2015, but it remains to be seen whether she will be as lucky this time. As six weeks fly by, the islanders’ Instagram followers will rapidly increase and continue to skyrocket after they leave the villa, and we no longer have an all-access pass to their 24/7 interactions. ‘Love Island All Stars’ provides a relatively small salary, which producers have revealed is meant to cover rent and bills while the contestants are out of work. However, the cast of the 2024 series is being paid £2,000 per week – a significant increase from the normal series, which pays ‘minimum wage’ at around £375 per week. What’s more, the opportunity has arisen again for the winning pair to walk out of the villa with £50,000, a significant incentive once again to find your type on paper. Despite ‘All Stars’ providing a considerable wage, the financial acquisitions that most islanders will undoubtedly gain after coming off the show are an attractive reward. 

Naturally, former islanders who in the public eye already have a foot in the door for prospective brand deals, social media representation, and TV deals that have historically been linked to the show. Georgia Steel – a 2018 Love Island contestant who is back for All Stars – has been in many reality shows since, such as Ex On The Beach and Celebs Go Dating. Since being on their original series, islanders have gained impressive salaries, significantly in the months and within the first year of exiting the show, with the most popular islanders earning an average of 1m in the first year. With winning not being a necessary requirement for fame and fortune, the most popular islanders earned thousands from sponsored Instagram posts alone in the months being back in reality. Crucially – a fact well known to the former contestants – the longer you stay on the show, the longer the public can get to know you and the more Instagram followers and opportunities you will likely receive. 

Although ‘Love Island’ has been extremely popular since it first aired in 2015, less than 12% of regular viewers have tuned in to witness the Islanders’ return. The new hit reality TV show ‘The Traitors’ on BBC gained four times more viewers after it aired during the same week. This questions the relevance and popularity of the contestants, the majority of whom have re-entered as influencers and well-known celebrities. Arguably, reappearing on one of the nation’s most loved reality screens would boost social media engagement and general buzz around the contestants, ultimately injecting their careers as a result. Despite a reduction in viewers, there is no doubt that the islanders have the opportunity to make the public fall in or out of love with them, potentially the most important relationship that they could make or break during their time in South Africa. As far as I can tell, jetting back into the villa seems like a pretty assured career move. 

Twists and turns arise when former flames enter the villa midway through the series, undoubtedly causing shock and drama for islanders and viewers alike. After multiple years of a relationship, you cannot help but question why you would return to spend time in an enclosed space that may contain your ex. Contestants Callum Jones and Molly Smith shocked viewers after arriving in the villa simultaneously after having been in a relationship for over two years. The subsequent turmoil has undoubtedly gained them attention both within the media and the public eye. Despite painful conversations being aired to millions and a pitiful salary compared to what they’re used to, the pull of long-term financial gain must be worth it. After all, who could turn down up to 6 weeks of relaxing and rebooting your career by lounging on daybeds and gossiping by the pool? 

Tilly Frain-Bell

St. Andrews '26

Hi! My name is Tilly and I am a second year student at the University of St Andrews studying French and International relations. During my spare time, I love going to the beach, playing lacrosse and sailing. I am excited to be a part of Her Campus and to expand my experience in the journalistic field.