This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Dear St Andrews,

Meet Her Campus, an online publication dedicated to documenting the experiences of college women through the best in student journalism.  Think of us as your cool big sister who has ‘been there and done that’ when it comes to all your college qualms. We can’t wait to meet you.

Let us tell you a bit about Her Campus.  The St Andrews Chapter is part of the larger company Her Campus Media, the #1 media portfolio for college students and Gen Z and a member of the Female Founder Collective.  Her Campus was founded in 2009 by three Harvard students who felt that their school needed a platform dedicated to representing the female voice.  Today, in addition to its national publication, Her Campus has over 400 chapters on individual campuses across 5 continents and 11 countries.  It is a network of smart, confident, passionate women who love to talk about politics, movies, sexual health, and absolutely everything in between.

Now let’s talk about why we’re here.  If anything became apparent to me over the summer, it was the overwhelming need for a platform at St Andrews dedicated to the female perspective.  It saddens me to even feel the need to say that women deserve to feel safe, comfortable, and confident in their own bodies and voices, but clearly there is work to be done.  I started this chapter with that goal in mind.

I am not here to define what the terms “women” or “female” should mean, or who they should encompass.  What matters to me is that all those who do identify with our message feel included in the community we are trying to build.  It is incredibly important to me that Her Campus is a safe and inclusive platform, welcome to all who are interested in engaging with our content.  We are a publication, not a society or club, and Her Campus articles are there for those who need them, want them, and are interested in them.  

Which brings me to my final point: who we are.  Our team is comprised of a diverse group of smart, independent-minded young people who are paying attention to what is happening in the world and on our campus, and are trying to engage our community on issues we care about.  We’ll offer advice on dating and studying, chat about our favorite Netflix binges or coffee shops, rant about our political opinions or which countries you should visit once it’s safe to travel again, and generally get confused about American versus English spellings (sorry in advance). 

So, if that sounds like something you’re up for, we’d love to have you along for the ride!  We think it’s going to be a lot of fun. 

Love,

Your Editor-in-Chief, Alexandra Upton 

Alexandra is a fourth year at the University of St Andrews in Scotland studying English and Modern History. She is also the founding president and editor-in-chief for the St Andrews Her Campus chapter, and can usually be found buried in a theatre rehearsing for the next musical, opera, or play. In her spare time, she loves writing creative fiction, traveling, and generally enjoying living in Scotland!