Style > Beauty

It’ll Grow Back, Right? Hair Growth Tips for After an Impulsive Chop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

We’ve all been there: you’ve had long hair for a while and finally gave in to the temptation of seeing what you’d look like with a shorter cut. Even if you like the shorter look, we all wind up reminiscing about our longer style. The good news? Hair grows back. The bad news? It doesn’t happen overnight (I know… a gut-wrenching revelation for us all). On average, hair grows about half an inch each month. But, with the right methods, growing your hair more quickly (while maintaining healthy ends) is possible. So, if you’re like me and don’t have time to wait eight-plus months to return to your beloved long hairstyle, keep reading.

To Promote Hair Growth:

• Hair oiling and scalp massages

To kickstart the growth process, consider incorporating hair oiling and scalp massages into your routine. These practices stimulate blood circulation to the scalp, promoting hair growth from the follicles. I’ve personally been using the Mielle Rosemary Mint Scalp Hair Strengthening Oil, but you can find a plethora of options for different hair types at your local pharmacy. I’m particularly keen on the use of rosemary oil because it has been scientifically proven to encourage hair growth.

• Higher protein diets

Revamping your diet to include more protein-rich foods can also help your hair to grow. Remember, your hair is primarily made up of a protein called keratin, so it’s essential to supply your body with the building blocks it needs to support healthy hair growth.

To Keep Hair Healthy:

• Trim split ends

Say goodbye to split ends with regular trims. Yes, it may seem counterintuitive to cut your hair when you’re trying to grow it out, but trust me, it’s worth it in the long run. Trimming those split ends prevents breakage and allows your hair to grow more evenly. Don’t worry, you don’t have to break the bank making a surplus of hair appointments: this practice can entail visiting your hairdresser every 8-12 weeks for a dusting (you can keep the trim to less than half an inch), or just picking up a pair of haircutting shears and maintaining the practice yourself!

• Avoid heat tools

Let’s not forget about the perils of heat styling. Put down the flat iron and step away from the blow dryer. Excessive heat can wreak havoc on your hair, causing dryness, breakage, and frizz. If you absolutely must use heat tools, always use a heat protectant spray beforehand to shield your strands from damage.

Luckily, this doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your beloved heated styles. There are plenty of heatless alternatives that can give you effortless waves or curls overnight. Invest in some velcro rollers, flexi rods, or silk hair wraps for heat-free styling that won’t compromise your hair’s health.

• Hair bonnet

The hair bonnet—a simple yet indispensable tool in maintaining healthy hair. Whether you choose silk or satin, this headgear offers invaluable protection to your hair as you sleep. Bonnets can prevent morning frizz, breakage, and tangles resulting from restless nights. 

• Don’t brush hair when it’s wet (unless you have curly hair)

The cardinal rule of hair care: avoid brushing your hair when it’s wet. Unless you’re blessed with curls, that is. Wet hair is more prone to breakage and damage, thanks to its weakened state. Instead, opt for a wide-tooth comb or a detangling brush to gently work out any knots post-shower. Your hair will thank you for the extra TLC.

• Minimize hair processing—color, bleaching, etc

Let’s address the elephant in the room: hair dye. While I love a fresh color or highlights, excessive chemical treatments can take a toll on hair health. Minimize the use of harsh dyes and bleaches, and opt for gentler alternatives whenever possible. If you’re maintaining a color that does not naturally grow from your head, don’t worry. You don’t necessarily need to cut out the practice entirely—just opt to space out coloring appointments as best you can. When I was “blonde,” I switched from full highlights to a softer balayage to budget more time between dye jobs without having harsh streak lines at my roots.

• Weekly hair masks

Show your hair some love with weekly deep conditioning treatments. Whether you opt for a store-bought mask or whip up a DIY concoction at home, your hair will thank you for the extra hydration and nourishment.

• Protect hair in the sun or when swimming

Let’s not forget about the importance of sun protection for your locks. Just like your skin, your hair can suffer damage from prolonged sun exposure. Invest in a good-quality UV-protectant spray or wear a hat when you’re out and about in the sun for long periods of time. On top of this, do what you can to protect your hair when taking a dip in the pool or the ocean. Chlorine and salt water can strip your hair of its natural oils, leaving it dry and brittle. Before diving in, coat your hair with a layer of leave-in conditioner or a protective oil to create a barrier against the elements.

Kennedy Drolet

St. Andrews '26

Hi all! I'm a second year studying philosophy and psychology. In my life, I've often turned to writing as an outlet for creative expression and an opportunity to delve into topics I hold close to my heart. I'm excited to use this platform to continue to explore and share these passions.