This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Throughout the past couple of months, I’m sure I’m not the only one who has learnt many things about ourselves. I have learnt that I can only listen to music and read books for so long before I get bored and retire to my unhealthy TikTok addiction. As much as I enjoy indulging in the latest TikTok life hack or watching young stars dance through mansions in LA (and I enjoy it a lot), I knew I needed to find something new. That’s when I came across my new hobby (if listening counts as a hobby) in the world of podcasts. Now, I know that I am rather late to hop on this bandwagon, but once I stumbled across it I dove in deep. I have listened to podcasts about everything from true crime to reality TV to the daily news. After hours upon hours of listening, I believe that I am fairly qualified to share a few of my favourites. 

Before I get started on this list I need to highlight a couple of the reasons podcasts are so fantastic, just in case you aren’t already convinced. First of all, they’re all free. If you have an Apple product, the free Apple podcasts app is pre-downloaded on your device with thousands of podcasts that are free to download so you can hear them offline. Don’t have an Apple device? Don’t worry, with a free Spotify account you can listen to many of these free of charge as well. Secondly, they’re a great way to learn and keep up to date with current events all over the world. And lastly, unlike reading a book, you can set up your podcast and listen to it while you’re driving, cleaning, or even out for a run! I know that I have felt so much more productive working out and listening to a podcast, that I even treat myself to a few hours of TikTok after. 

Without further ado, here are a few of my favourites: 

The Daily

Hosted by The New York Times’ writer Micheal Barbaro, who happens to be one of the world’s best journalists, is The Daily. Now let me be the first to say – this man is dedicated. He uploads a podcast a day. Yes, a podcast A DAY. His episodes cover historic events or breaking news while interviewing field experts and other top journalists around the world. Not only is his podcast short at around 30 minutes, but he is also extremely well-spoken and a fantastic interviewer. 

What We Said 

This podcast is a full 360 from The Daily, but nothing short of a must-listen. Hosts Jaci Smith and Chelsey Curtis’s fun-loving personalities are what earned them the title “your new BFFs”. These two are dishing out the advice you need to stay positive and motivated while also interacting with listeners in episodes like “Worst First Kiss Stories” that will surely leave you laughing and a little horrified. The weekly dose of positivity these girls have injected into my life over the past couple of months crowns them as my favourite podcast hosts. 

We Bought a House – Claudia and Finneas 

This podcast hosted by YouTuber Claudia Sulewski and her musician boyfriend Finneas (otherwise known as Billie Eilish’s older brother) is one of my absolute favourites. If you want to know what it’s like to be a YouTuber, a famous singer’s sibling, or live among the rich and famous in California, you will not be disappointed by their stories and experiences. They are also an adorable couple who often share their advice on relationships and dating. 

Girlboss Radio with Sophia Amoruso 

My newest podcast addition, Girlboss radio has been praised by many for their efforts to promote women in business. Many of the episodes include interviews with female CEOs of successful companies who share advice for other women looking to break into the world of business. 

Anything Goes 

This one’s hosted by the one and only Emma Chamberlain, who never seems to disappoint when it comes to entertainment. This one-woman show talks about Chamberlain’s crazy L.A. experiences and what it’s like being a teenager in a California mansion. 

The Michelle Obama Podcast 

As an avid podcast listener and Michelle Obama admirer, when I heard she was coming out with her very own podcast I was genuinely shaking with excitement. Let me tell you – she did not disappoint. The raw, honest, candid feelings she shared while speaking about the tragedies 2020 has inflicted upon us, left me near tears. Without giving too much away, I will say that I was feeling much more motivated and charged to get back into the world and ensure we “don’t reach for normal, we reach for better”. 

Sophia Khan

St. Andrews '24

Hi there! My name is Sophia and I am a Canadian studying at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. I'm currently studying Sustainable Development and Management. I love to travel and have visited over 20 countries! I enjoy any topics in the sphere of health, wellness and fitness.
The University of St Andrews chapter of Her Campus!