How to Wake Up (And Get Up!) Earlier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

We’ve reached the point in the semester where everyone is getting supremely burnt out. Between the nice weather and the approaching summer holiday, all I want to do is sit around, eat a little, and nap – preferably in the sun – until exams are over. My motivation is low and my bed has seemed to get more and more comfortable as the days have passed. I’ve hit the snooze button more times than not. This past weekend though, I realized I had gone too far. With revision week and the subsequent exams on its way, I felt like I had to get it together a bit. For most of us, “getting it together” starts with my morning routine. Here’s what I learned in my attempt to wake up (and get myself out of bed earlier).

1. Adjust your evening routine: Oddly enough, in order to change your morning routine, you have to change your evening routine first. Going to bed earlier and earlier is a necessity – not a choice. Your body needs a certain amount of sleep. It was really tough for me the first couple days waking up at 7:30 am after going to bed just five hours before. I had to just start getting into bed (without my phone!) at the latest at midnight. Eventually, I found that I was tired enough by 11:30pm after waking up so early.     
  2. Have something that gets you out of bed: First things first – change your alarm sound. It’s such a small detail but overall makes a huge difference in how you wake up. Your brain has most likely gotten used to the sound of your alarm, which in turn makes it easier for you to sleep in. Second, you need to find something that will really, truly get you out of bed. For me, I promise myself that I can get a latte and a pastry if I get out of bed by a certain time. Food is a big motivator for me, but it can be different for everyone. Maybe promise yourself a pedicure if you wake up and get out of bed at a certain time? Or a new set of pajamas? The possibilities are kind of endless. But! This only lasts for your first week or so of your new morning schedule. As much as I love a croissant in the morning, if I always did this, I would be creating another unhealthy habit.       
  3. Make a new routine: I’ve now started my day with a couple stretches, a cup of tea, and a scroll through the news. My morning feels so much more calm and purposeful. Moreover, it gets my mind and body going for my day ahead.       
  4. Keep it simple, and then amp it up: After a couple days of getting up, stretching, drinking tea, and listening to some music, I knew I could “amp up” my morning routine. I started to do just 10-minute work outs in my room. After doing this for about a week I now do a 20-minute work out and then I go for a run. After a quick shower and sometimes even blow drying my hair (honestly a big deal), I head to get a coffee and head to lectures. 

And honestly? It feels amazing. Game changing really. In the grand scheme of things, I find I get much more done with the day when I utilize more of the daylight. Moreover, it just creates a feeling that I have it more together. Instead of dragging myself out of bed, I get out and I get stuff done. And at the end of the day, I know once revision rolls around and I have to be at the entrance to the library right at 8 am, it won’t be so painful. 

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.