Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

How to Stay Warm and Stay Cool: The Basics of Layering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Now that December is here, let’s address the elephant in the room… It is cold! And dark, for that matter. But don’t be frightened, because I will give you my favourite tips on how to keep warm, yet stay cool this Christmas. 

Who said skirts were a thing of summer? 

Mini, midi, or maxi skirts have our hearts, and not even the weather will stop us from wearing them this season. 

The tights game has reached a whole new level: fleece lined tights. They may not sound very fashion-forward, but they are game-changers. They look just like regular tights. However, their lined interior allows them to protect you against the cold. They are only 18 pounds on Amazon and can be paired with any skirt and high boots for the perfect winter fit. 

If they are still not warm enough, feel free to layer as many socks as needed under your boots and add a nice long coat for extra coverage. 

Coat it up!

Talking about coats… 

Without one, you cannot stay on trend and certainly forget about surviving in Scotland. Buying a coat seems pricey and not very interesting, but that is only if you look in the wrong places. 

Barbour coats are a St Andrews staple. However, they are very expensive and do not offer much style versatility. Instead, try Zara or & Other Stories. These brands offer a great variety of lengths and styles at more reasonable prices, which will keep you warm and in style. 

Keep your ‘neck’ high

High neck tops are the perfect solution to the cold. Whether you prefer tighter long-sleeved tops or woolly jumpers, there is a high-neck style out there for you, and trust me, they go with EVERYTHING. 

A tighter, high-neck, long-sleeve top can be layered underneath your favourite hoodie or jumper for extra warmth. Pair it with straight denim jeans and Ugg boots, and you have your perfect cosy winter fit. 

If you are a fan of knit jumpers, why not give a high-neck one a go? They are incredibly snug! Plus, many unique options exist, including colours, patterns, and lengths. The options are endless. My favourite is the Zadig & Voltaire Alma jumper, but Pull & Bear and Princess Polly are also go-tos. 

We have it ALL covered 

When we talk about accessories, what comes to mind is mainly dainty jewellery; however, in winter, we have to think big… and fuzzy! 

Add a pop of colour to your outfits with big woolly scarves and matching mittens. Consider adding a fuzzy bucket hat if you are feeling daring. Mix and match or get a set of matching gloves, scarves, and hats for a more put-together aesthetic. Get creative. 

Make staying warm fun! (And battle  your seasonal depression whilst you are at it.)

The Party Continues in Winter- And it Stays Warm! 

If you are like me and love to wear a cute little dress on a night out but feel like your wings have been cut off due to the weather, I have a couple of ideas for you: 

1. The Shinier, the merrier

Glitter has taken over the fashion industry, including its winter attire. And let me tell you, this is a Godsend. 

What better than a sparkling jumper to spice up your party outfits without getting hypothermia? Picture this: a sparkly black jumper over a bodycon midi dress and a pair of high boots. Warm, cute, and it will not go unnoticed. 

1. Long sleeves and a bareback 

If your go-to is usually a pair of jeans and a nice top, long sleeves are your best friends during winter.

However, we are not talking about your basic long-sleeved top. We are thinking of tops with dramatic details: open backs, one sleeve only, off the shoulder… think fun and unique, and you won’t go wrong. 

1. But What About the Jeans? 

Throughout this article, I have tried to push you to get creative with the classics, but to really do this, we must discuss the jeans. 

As mentioned, everything sparkly is in trend, which is great! For example, Zara has released the perfect pair of straight, grey, mid-rise bedazzled jeans that will take your party fits to the next level. They are sparkly and comfortable; what else do you need to spice up your outfit? 

Get Creative!

My top tip to combat the cold in style is … Get Creative! 

Take your basic pieces and think of ways to elevate them by adding a fuzzy pop of colour or a fantastic sparkly detail. Play with the lengths of your layers, and ensure you don’t hide your favourite part of your outfits. Your unique pieces are terrific, so layer them on top! 

Merry Layering!

Vera Fortun Marco

St. Andrews '26

Vera Fortun is a second-year English and IR student at the University of St Andrews. Apart from writing for Her Campus, she enjoys writing fiction prose and playing around with poetry. When she is not writing you can find her nose in a book, searching for new pieces to add to her wardrobe or seeking out new coffee shops around town.