This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

May Dip is one of St. Andrew’s most beloved traditions. The evening prior is the annual Gaudie – a torchlit procession and pier walk to commemorate student John Honey. In 1800 Honey swam out and rescued crew members of the Janet of Macduff – a boat that had gone off course around East Sands. In honour of him, students don their gowns and partake in the procession (conducted by the Kate Kennedy Club) and lay a wreath at the site of the shipwreck.

At sunrise the following morning, May 1st, St Andrews students gather at East Sands again and collectively run into the North Sea. The superstition suggests that doing May Dip will bring you good luck on your exams, and cleanse you of many curses (such as the Patrick Hamilton curse from the PH) or academic sins. 

But what does one do between these two celebrations? An unspoken side to May Dip traditions is the partying that takes place between The Gaudie procession and the morning plunge. Students tend to pull an all-nighter until dawn. 

If you are one of those wishing for an all-night experience, I have a few May Dip recommendations for you. A more subdued evening could entail a dinner party and a subsequent arranged flat crawl between your friend group (or even a quieter house party). These will be great ways to keep yourself awake and entertained, but pace yourself and allow yourself to have a relaxed night before the chaos that awaits at sunrise. This is the best option for those wanting to participate, but who have exams and coursework due after May Dip.

Alternatively, if you’ve finished your coursework and want to have a more intense celebration, I’d recommend either a club night at the Vic, or a pub-crawl oriented game, such as pub golf. These will keep the night lively and boisterous – maintaining the high energy that concludes with the May Dip itself. 

If you’re like first-year me, and are feeling incredibly burnt out after finals, but are eager to participate in the actual Dip, there is no shame in sleeping after the Gaudie and waking up an hour or so before sunrise. If you’re choosing not to drink, however, or aren’t drinking much, I’d recommend finding or making a bonfire on East Sands to keep yourself warm before and after your trip into the North Sea.

Whichever way you choose to celebrate May Dip, I hope you enjoy the festivities!

Rhiannon Peacock

St. Andrews '25

Rhiannon is a second year from Boston MA studying English & International Relations