This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Have you been wanting to get out and explore something beyond St. Andrews, but without having to pay for expensive plane tickets and accommodation? If so, a day trip might be the perfect solution. Here are a few fun destinations that are just a train or bus ride away that you can visit with friends or by yourself!

Edinburgh: Hike Arthur’s Seat

A friend and I recently took a morning train to Edinburgh to hike up Arthur’s Seat. For an inexperienced hiker such as myself, it was a bit tiring and I definitely had to take breaks to hydrate, but the panoramic views from the top made the effort completely worth it! Because it’s such a popular destination, we met lots of people from all over the world who were also making their way to the top. This made for a friendly and supportive environment, and we cheered and encouraged each other to the summit. Hiking Arthur’s Seat is a great way to get some exercise while enjoying the beautiful scenery and the city of Edinburgh. After the hike, you can go to one of the city’s many pubs or restaurants and celebrate your hard work with a drink! 

Edinburgh: See a Play or Movie

While we do have a lovely cinema here in St. Andrews, there is something special about the Omni cinema in Edinburgh. It is the type of cinema that would you expect in a mall – it’s much larger and flashier than any theatre in St. Andrews, with a huge selection of films and it makes for an experience you can only get in a city! It’s also reminiscent of a cinema you may find in the United States, which is a fun and different experience for some, and a welcome familiarity for others. Additionally, the Edinburgh Playhouse regularly shows fantastic plays and musicals. Both of these would be perfect for a day when outdoor activities such as hiking are hindered by cold and rainy conditions. 

North Queensferry

A short train ride away, North Queensferry is a picturesque village on the Southern end of the Fife Coastal Path. If you’re not into the city vibe of Edinburgh, then a small quiet town like North Queensferry could be the place for you. There are plenty of things to do there, besides just photo-ops of the Forth Railway Bridge. North Queensferry is a great place to experience some of the local wildlife – there are boat tours that show customers a variety of animals such as puffins and seals. There are also adorable cafes and restaurants, making this town a wonderful place to meet interesting local people and relax in pleasant scenery. North Queensferry is also home to Scotland’s National Aquarium!

Anstruther 

While St. Andrews and Anstruther are both small towns on the ocean, Anstruther has a very different, more relaxed vibe. It is an incredibly charming small town, and I have had a positive experience every time I’ve visited! Not only are the people always friendly, but the town is also remarkably picturesque. The beach is lovely and it is an ideal place to sit with a book. Not to mention, Anstruther is home to Anstruther Fish Bar, which is said to have the best fish and chips in the United Kingdom – find out for yourself if you agree! There is also ample opportunity for shopping in Anstruther, as the town is full of cute boutiques, local shops, and galleries. 

Ella Frazier

St. Andrews '25

Ella is a 2nd year St. Andrews student studying English and Film.