Freya’s DIY: Jessie’s Quilt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As promised, here is the continuation of the ‘Chop and Change’ quilt that I commenced over the Christmas holidays. Now that we have had some more holidays (I know, now it’s almost summer), I have been able to get cracking. This ended up as a 21st birthday present to my wonderful friend and flatmate Jessie Crabtree. She was also lucky enough to receive a full size cardboard cut-out of one of our flat’s personal heroes, Ryan Gosling. So Happy Birthday, and enjoy one of my favourite combinations – Ryan and Quilts!

If you remember, we started out with all the squares completed and you design laid out. The next task is to sew all the squares together. Firstly pin and then sew along the horizontal squares. Repeat this process, and then pin along the vertical squares. 

Once you have done this, the next step is to neaten out the quilt. Neaten the edge and remove any loose threats. 

Finally create your border. I have been lazy and used the same material as I was feeling too poor to buy any more fabric, but hopefully it will turn out ok. Cut strips of 7cm apart and sew together to create one long strip.

Then pin this to the edge of your quilt with ‘right sides together’ and sew along your border. Turn the material back on itself and sew by hand the boarder to the quilt.  Tah dah! 

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews