Freya’s DIY Chop and Change Quilt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

My Christmas presents were these beautiful fabrics from a quaint little craft shop near where I live, so in mid-January when my friends abandoned me to the bleakness of the flooded Southern countryside, I busied myself commencing this quilt. It is particularly appealing as you don’t have to faff around for weeks cutting out intricate and detailed patterns, so that the ‘top layer’ comes together pretty quickly. Unfortunately St Andrews and the new semester summoned me back before I was able to finish, so look forward to part two relatively soon. 

What you will need:

• Fabric Scissors
  • Sewing machine
  • 16 fat quarters
  • Pints
  • Backing material
  • Material for a boarder
  • Wadding
  • May seem like a lot… but don’t despair

Firstly choose your colour scheme and fabrics:

Then cut all the fat quarts fabric into roughly 25cm squares.

Next set about putting all the fabrics into groups of four contrasting fabrics

From your first pile of four contrasting fabrics take out one square of each design and cut into four strips. Take one strip from each pile to create four different squares containing each of the four fabrics. Pin together and sew together.

Repeat this process…and again with all of your original contrasting fabrics.

Next iron out the entire individual squares…

Then neaten out all of the squares so that they are 21.5 cm2.

Then lay out your design…

And that’s as far as I got before the constraints of university work stemmed my creative venture. If you can, wait until after Spring Break for the next instalment!

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews
Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.