Four Fun Autumn Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

The Clocks are going back; winter is coming. Don’t dispare; instead, remember all the fun things happening at this time of year. 

1. Halloween

When: 31st October

What: “Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it” (according to the film, Mean Girls). Along with ‘dressing up,’ Halloween is super fun, because of pumpkin carving, decorations, and, of course, the plethora of sweets everywhere. 

2. Thanksgiving 

When: 26th November

What: A chance to wear your strechy ‘pants’ (a la Joey) and eat yourself silly, and there’s some stuff about America and being thankful etc.. However, the main appeal is the pumkin pie- this is the USA (University of St Andrews) after all. Thanksgiving is a tradition Brits don’t get, but hey, there’s food so it must be alright. I am always thankful for my American friends and their ability to make our roast even more unhealthier, sweater, and indulgent. 

3. Bonfire Night 

When: 5th November

What: When we remember that we are all Protestants and that the evil Catholics should be burnt…or something like that. Nowadays, it means mulled wine, sparklers, bonfires, fireworks, and more mulled wine. It’s the best! 

4. St Andrews Day 

When: 30th November 

What: St Andrew is the national saint of Scotland, so this is a day of celebrating Scotland in St Andrews itself! It also means a day off of class, so it’s a pretty cool holiday. 

It’s nice to remember that despite the imminant darkness, cold temperatures, and overall ‘bleak midwinter’ that is approaching, there are still lots of things to look forward to! 

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews