Fluffy Beach Reads to Pack for Spring Break (Part 1)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

(Yes, they all have hot guys.)

Confession: I love trashy novels. I mean, as an English literature student, I also love a novel that makes me think (Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities remains one of my favorites), but sometimes I don’t want to think. Sometimes I just want to lie on a sun chair, sip a piña colada, and read a book with a happy love story in it. You feel me? If you’re looking to do exactly that this Spring Break, here are some novels you might want to consider packing.

1. Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern

This hilarious book follows the friendship of childhood best friends Rosie Dunne and Alex Stewart as they navigate the world and their feelings for each other. It’s told through letters, e-mails, and messages, so the writing style is short, sweet, and entertaining. Pro tip: if you like the book, you’ll love the film adaptation starring Lily Collins and Sam Claflin.

2. Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella​

Sophie Kinsella might be better known for her Shopaholic series, but this book is one of my absolute favorites by her. The heroine, Emma, is a nervous flyer that is trapped on a turbulent plane. Panicked, Emma starts babbling her life story (including embarrassing tidbits about how she can’t find her G-spot) to the gorgeous American man next to her. The catch? She finds out later that this man is her boss. This book will have you crying because you’re laughing so hard.

3. The Royal We by Heather Cocks

Okay, so this book is basically a fictionalized version of Will and Kate’s romance, but I’m still up for it. Follow American student Rebecca Porter as she falls in love with Prince Nicholas at Oxford. If you love glamour, romance, and killer one-liners, then this book is for you.

4. Arranged by Catherine McKenzie

As the title suggests, this book is about an arranged marriage in the modern day. Anne Blythe is a kick-ass writer, friend, and woman in general, but she can’t seem to find the right guy. She agrees to let a service pair her up with a stranger, and a few months later, she’s traveling to a Mexican resort to meet Jack — her future husband. Only he’s not what she thought he would be. Like, at all.

5. The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Okay, okay, we’ve probably all seen the movie adaptation with Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth, but this book is definitely still worth a read. I could watch troubled teenager Ronnie save turtle eggs with Will a million times (sounds weird, I know, but you’ll understand once you read the book). Just be warned: this novel definitely has a few sad parts, so you may want to bring a few tissues to the beach.

Jody is a third-year English major with a weakness for nut butter and trashy reality television. Her talents include writing, food photography, singing the alphabet backwards, and laughing at her own jokes.
Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p