This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Erik Andersen

Marine Biology

2nd Year

Berkeley, California

This week’s campus cutie is 2nd year Erik Andersen, who also happens to be my boyfriend of 7 months. After much persuasion and copious use of my womanly wiles (yoga pants work like a dream) he has grudgingly agreed. Though let’s be honest, what guy isn’t secretly pleased to be named campus cutie?

Originally from Berkeley, California, Erik’s choice to move to our rainy little corner of Scotland was based on his previous experiences of studying abroad in England during high school (in Redditch of all places) and the university’s strong reputation for marine biology. St Andrews also has the benefit of being close to the Scottish highlands, which appealed to Erik’s interest in hiking and rock climbing. Erik has been involved with the university Mountaineering Club since his first year quickly discovered a love and talent for climbing. In fact, though I would never admit this to him, I’m pretty sure the first time I thought of him as anything more than my goofy friend was when I saw him flexing his muscles at the climbing wall. Turns out I suddenly love climbing too…

Other than climbing Erik is part of the university swimming club, plays guitar and enjoys eating copious amounts of rice and red peppers. Back in California he works as a lifeguard at a lake over the summer, saying he enjoys the responsibility of the job and the chance to work outdoors. His love for the outdoors has been a big part of his life so far at St Andrews, and we’ve spent many weekend in the mountains together, sleeping both in old climber’s huts and tents that have literally been blown down by the wind. The ability Erik has to remain cute after a weekend wearing the same muddy and wet clothes is a real talent.

Outside of university life Erik likes to travel to see new places and continue climbing all over the world. Having recently spent two weeks climbing in Spain, he hopes next to visit Yosemite National Park (“which is basically in my backyard”) and take on some seriously scary looking climbs. One of Erik’s lifetime dreams is to visit Denali National Park, Alaska, and undertake a climbing expedition in one of the world’s last remaining wildernesses.

Rapid fire:

What would you do to impress a girl?

If I wanted to impress a girl, I’d probably take her climbing because it’s really the only thing I’m good enough at to impress someone with, or I’d cook her a dank (FYI – this apparently means “really good” in Californian) meal involving lots of red meat (writer’s note – both of these totally worked on me)

What is your favourite food?

Steak

What is your favourite place in St Andrews?

My favourite place in St Andrews is the botanical gardens, it really makes you feel like you’re in a different world, but the pier and castle area is a close second.

What is a little known fact about yourself?

Not many people know that I spent basically my entire childhood watching the same Steve Irwin “saltwater crocodile” special.

What is your dream job?

Being Steven Irwin

What is your biggest fear?

Spiders – not tarantulas because they’re kind of cool, but the little spiders that crawl all over you after you accidentally walk into their web.

**Bonus question: how awesome is your girlfriend?

My girlfriend rocks!

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.