Crossing the Line: Sexual Harassment at Work and What We Can Do About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

For many university students, taking on a part-time job is a rewarding way to gain experience and make some money alongside their studies. Whether you’re pouring the perfect latte in a local cafe or giving a surfing lesson at East Sands, your workplace should be a safe and enjoyable place where everyone feels respected. Sadly, this is not always the reality: many people face sexual harassment at work, including approximately 68% of women and 25% of men in the UK.

University students, who are typically younger and less powerful employees, can be particularly at risk. Too many of us know what it feels like to be tense and afraid in the workplace, waiting for the next suggestive comment, leering stare, or unwanted touch, and wondering how to deal with what can feel like an insurmountable problem. Sexual harassment at work is never acceptable, and there are strategies and resources available for anyone working in St Andrews or elsewhere.

What is Workplace Sexual Harassment?

Sexual harassment is unwanted sexual behaviour. According to ACAS, unwanted behaviour is treated as workplace sexual harassment if it violates the victim’s dignity, whether intended or not, or creates a hostile working environment, whether intended or not.

According to UK law, employers should take all reasonable steps to prevent harassment from occurring in the first place. They should also respond seriously to complaints from employees if it occurs. Workplace sexual harassment legislation protects all employees, workers, contractors, and self-employed people hired by an employer, apprentices and job applicants. 

Workplace sexual harassment can come in many forms, including but not limited to: unwelcome sexual advances; unwanted touching, displaying or sharing inappropriate material at work, such as pornography; sking for or demanding sexual favours; penalising or rewarding staff according to whether or not sexual advances are accepted.

But what does sexual harassment look like in real life? When I asked some recent St Andrews graduates about their own experiences, they told me about managers touching them inappropriately during shifts and making frequent sexual comments about physical appearance or clothing. Others were asked out repeatedly, to the extent that work became an uncomfortable environment, and were ranked by sex appeal and body type against other female staff.

What Can You Do About It?

If you feel you have been sexually harassed, it’s a good idea to make note of what’s happened, including dates, times and any witnesses. These notes may be useful later in the mediation or reporting process. 

If you feel comfortable doing so, your next step can be to speak to the person harassing you directly. Although this is not an excuse for harassment, a workmate may not realise the effect of their behaviour on you, and a direct and open discussion may be all that is needed to get rid of the problem. You could also approach your manager to make an informal complaint, if your manager is not the person harassing you. Even though having these conversations can be scary, it’s important to note that it is against the law for employees to be discriminated against because they made a sexual harassment complaint or because they rejected the advances of someone who harassed them.

If the problem is not resolved or you do not feel comfortable talking directly to the harasser or your manager, you have the option to raise a formal grievance. If your workplace has an official sexual harassment policy, it is a good idea to follow its procedures for making a complaint. This step will likely lead to a formal mediation process with the aim of resolving the issue. Often the problem will be resolved at this stage. If not, there may be a hearing with the Employment Tribunal, an independent body which makes decisions in legal disputes around employment law. 

If sexual harassment at work crosses over into sexual assault, there are specialist hotlines you are able to access for support and to gain an understanding of your options. You always have the option to contact the police by phone or online. When reporting a crime in the UK, you can ask to speak to a specialist officer who is trained to deal with sexual violence.

Need More Support or Resources?

If you need help understanding your rights and options at work, you can contact the Acas helpline (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) or your trade union, if you have one. If you’re a woman who has experienced sexual harassment at work, you can access free legal advice from Rights of Women Group which operates in England and Wales, or the Scottish Women’s Rights Centre

If you are struggling to deal with harassment at work, you can contact: Samaritans,  LGBT Foundation, or the Wellbeing, Counselling & Mental Health at the University of St Andrews. If you need help after sexual assault, you can get help from: Rape Crisis Scotland, The Survivors Trust, and Victim Support. To contact the police: Police Scotland for Scotland.

Remember that even if you’re not experiencing sexual harassment at work, you can still be part of the solution. Everybody can work to prevent sexual harassment in the workplace by being an effective bystander, cultivating a culture of respect, and being aware of how your own behaviour may be making others feel. Remember that what seems like a harmless joke to you may be crossing the line for others. 

Ruby Ekkel

St. Andrews '21

Ruby will be graduating with a Master of History from St Andrews this year. Originally from sunny Australia, she loves to write about the natural environment, travel, plant-based living, women’s history and student wellness. When not writing or tutoring, you can usually find Ruby making music with friends or enthusing about ancient Scottish castles.