This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

The past year and a half, for me, has felt like a bizarre, extended intermission. I was not myself; unmotivated and uninterested in the goings of the world as long as it was in lockdown. The fact that I’m a fourth year now still hasn’t hit me. Where has the time gone? Has it really been almost two years since the start of the pandemic?

Returning to St Andrews, though, has felt like a breath of fresh air. However, a dilemma I often find myself in nowadays is how to balance living in the moment while planning ahead. How do I attempt to bask in the present, while at the same time manage to plan my future before me? I adore St Andrews, but I am looking forward to starting a master’s program in a new city, a new country, where I can begin as the new person I have become – thanks to St Andrews. On top of that, my dissertation must be written within the next few months, summer plans have to be made, important career-oriented decisions need to be finalized… the list goes on. But, I know, I just know, that if I don’t soak up every last second that I have in this special town, I will regret it the second I leave and will be itching to get back.

Something that helps me put into perspective just how important it is to remain mindful of the present is to imagine myself seven months from now, looking back at the past few months and wishing that I hadn’t been so desperate just to get through the day. It happens seemingly every time – I am out enjoying myself in the moment, and my brain instantly switches to thinking ahead to what I’ll eat for dinner, what I should do for spring break, if I’ll write my dissertation… and so on. Every time I remember that it is almost a guarantee that my future self will regret not having been present, I snap out of it, and my mind reverts back to whatever I’m doing at the moment.

Setting aside chunks of time devoted solely to the development of my future has also helped me balance living in the moment, and allowed me to start planning ahead to new chapters of my life. Be it applying for master’s programs, looking forward to graduating, or taking that vacation once the school year is over, setting aside specific hours of the day for these thoughts to take up my mental space has helped preserve my energy and allowed me to enjoy other activities more mindfully.

All in all, every time we are faced with a transition period in our lives, it is up to us to find what works best in terms of balancing preparation for the future while soaking up as much as we can from the present. These tips have certainly helped me, but ultimately, everyone has their own unique method by which they balance the future and the present. It may take some practice and mental resilience, but every day is a new day, and a new chance to live life as fully as possible.

Eva Ferguson

St. Andrews '22

I am a junior studying Social Anthropology and Art History at the University of St Andrews. Some of my passions include writing, classical music and traveling the world. When I'm not busy you can usually find me baking, walking in nature or finding yet another DIY project to tackle!