Wellness

Baking For Self-Care: 4 Fun Desserts to Make this Fall 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Looking for a creative outlet or means of de-stressing during this deadline season? Baking, whether by yourself or with friends, is a fun way to take a step away from schoolwork and the other crazes filling our lives. Baking is a fan favourite and a perfect indoors activity when faced with the rainy weather of St. Andrews, especially when it incorporates fall flavours like pumpkin and gingersnap cinnamon. Here are some favourites this fall season!

Gingerbread Cookies 

Starting off strong with a ginger-bread cookies recipe! Gingerbread is the perfect flavour to transition into the holiday season and always makes for a yummy treat. 

Ingredients: 

100g salted butter

3 tbsp golden syrup

100 g dark muscovado sugar

½ tsp bicarbonate of soda

1 tbsp ground ginger

1 tsp ground cinnamon 

225 g plain flour

50 g icing sugar

Directions: 

1. Heat the butter, syrup, and sugar together in a small pan until melted, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly. 
  2. Mix together in the bicarbonate, ginger, cinnamon and flour in a large bowl. Pour in the buttery syrup mixture and stir to combine, then use your hands to bring together to form a dough. Add up to 1 tbsp of milk to combine if needed. 
  3. Put the dough on a sheet of baking parchment, shape into a rectangle, and lay another sheet of parchment on top of it. Roll the dough out to a thickness of ½ cm. Transfer to a baking sheet to keep it flat, leaving the parchment in place, then chill in the fridge for 1 hr. 
  4. Heat the oven to 190 C and line a large baking sheet with more baking parchment. Remove the dough from the fridge and cut out shapes using a cookie cookie. 
  5. Place the shapes, spread apart on the lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave to cool completely on the baking sheet. 

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

A perfect fall recipe complete with pumpkin flavor galore! Cinnamon buns are the perfect treat to bake on a rainy morning or when you are starting to miss home, making this fall recipe the best solution to transform both your life and your kitchen to a homey-feeling fall wonderland. 

Ingredients: 

Pumpkin Dough:

⅓ cup (80 ml) whole milk

2 tablespoons (28 g) unsalted butter

½ cup (115 g) canned pumpkin 

¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

½ teaspoon salt

1 large egg

2 ½ teaspoons (7 g) instant or active dry yeast

2 ⅔ cups (335 g) all-purpose flour 

Filling:

6 tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter

½ cup (100 g) packed light or dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

½ teaspoon allspice 

¼ teaspoon ground ginger

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

Maple Cream Cheese Icing:

4 ounces (113 g) full-fat brick cream cheese, softened to room temperature

3 tablespoons (4 ml) pure maple syrup

1 tablespoons (15 ml) whole milk 

⅔ cup (80 g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted

Optional: ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon 

Instructions:

1. Make the dough: Warm the milk and butter together over the stove or in the microwave. Warm the two together until the butter is melted. You want the mixture lukewarm (105℉ [41℃] to 115℉ [46℃]). Set aside. Whisk the pumpkin puree, sugar, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk in the warmed milk and butter, egg, and yeast until combined. Mix in 1 cup of flour. Mix for 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add 1 ⅔ cups more flour and beat for 1 more minute. 
  2. Knead the dough: Keep the dough in the mixer and beat on low speed for an additional 3 minutes or knead by hand on a lightly floured surface for 3 minutes. 
  3. Lightly grease a large bowl with oil or use nonstick-spray. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in oil. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise in a relatively warm environment for 2 hours or until doubled in size. 
  4. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch square baking dish, 9-inch round baking dish, 9×13-inch baking dish, or 11×7-inch baking dish. 
  5. Roll out the dough: Punch down the dough to release the air. Place dough on a lightly floured work surface and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 10×14-inch rectangle. Make sure the dough is smooth and evenly thick. If the dough keeps shrinking as you roll it out, cover it lightly and let it rest for 10 minutes. 
  6. Add the filling: Spread softened butter evenly on top of the rolled-out dough. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and spices into a small bowl. Sprinkle all over the top. Roll it up tightly. Using a very sharp knife, cut into 10-12 even rolls. Arrange rolls in the prepared pan. 
  7. Cover the rolls tightly and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  8. Preheat oven to 350℉ (177℃)
  9. Bake rolls for about 22-28 minutes or until lightly browned on top. After about 15 minutes, tent a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the pan to prevent the tops from browning too quickly and baking unevenly. Remove pan from the oven and place pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes as you make icing. 
  10. Make the Icing: Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with paddle or whisk attachment, beat the softened cream cheese in a medium bowl on medium speed until smooth. Add the maple syrup and milk and beat on high until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar (and cinnamon, if using) and beat on medium speed until creamy. Spread on warm cinnamon rolls.
  11. Cover leftover frosted rolls tightly and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or in refrigerator for up to 5 days. 

Chai Cupcakes

Chai is the perfect fall flavor, especially in our beloved fall latte flavors, so why not have it as a dessert as well with these chai cupcakes!

Ingredients: 

Chai Spice Mix:

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 

¾ teaspoon ground ginger

¼ teaspoon ground cardamom 

⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg

⅛ teaspoon ground allspice

⅛ teaspoon ground cloves 

Cupcakes:

1 ⅛ cups (160 g) all-purpose flour

1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

½ cup (100g) granulated sugar

⅓ cup (65 g) dark brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract

½ cup + 2 tablespoons (150 ml) buttermilk 

Cinnamon frosting:

⅔ cup (150 g) block style, full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature

⅔ cup (150 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature

3 ⅓ cups (375 g) powdered sugar, sifted

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350℉ (180 ℃). Line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside. 
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, chai spice mix and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. On medium speed, beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add half of the dry ingredients and beat until combined. Add buttermilk and beat until combined. Add the other half of the dry ingredients and beat slowly or fold by hand only until combined. Do not over-mix! 
  4. Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners, filling them about ¾ full. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to set for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. 
  5. To make frosting: In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time and beat until smooth. Beat on medium high speed until combined, then add cinnamon and vanilla. Beat another minute until the frosting is light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes once they’ve cooled. 
  6. Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge. They’ll keep for 3 days. Bring to room temperature about 1 hour before serving. 

Small-Batch Maple Scones

The fall finale! Maple Scones! A perfect sweet treat to encapsulate your fall needs while bringing a smile to your face. Who wouldn’t want one of these delicious maple scones?!

Ingredients:

Scones:

1 ½ cup (180 g) all-purpose flour 

1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons (37 g) granulated sugar

¾ cup heavy cream 

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Maple Glaze: 

1 cup (120 g powdered sugar) 

1 tablespoon (14 g) butter, melted

1 to 3 tablespoons milk 

¼ teaspoon maple extract

Pinch of salt

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 425℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. 
  2. In a liquid measuring cup or bowl, stir together heavy cream and vanilla. 
  3. Drizzle cream mixture over your dry ingredients and stir, using just enough cream so that a dry dough forms with no loose flour at the bottom of your bowl. Use clean hands to finish mixing and shape dough into a ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Press dough out to a disk about 5 ½ inches across or ¾-inches thick.
  4. Use a dough scraper or knife to cut circle into 6 triangles. Transfer scones to your prepared baking sheet, arranging the wedges in a circle about 1-inch apart. Brush the scones with a little cream to help them brown. 
  5. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until scones are baked through and lightly golden brown.
  6. Cool before glazing. 
  7. In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, melted butter, 1 tablespoon of milk, maple extract and salt. Add milk by the ¼ teaspoon until glaze reaches a drizzling consistency and drizzle over scones. Allow glaze to set for 5 minutes and enjoy. 

Whether you try any or all of these recipes by yourself or with friends, you are guaranteed to feel warm and cozy this fall season. A whirl of fall flavors make the perfect dessert for when you need a break during exams or when your kitchen beckons you! Plus, everyone needs a sweet treat every once in a while!

Tricia Merone

St. Andrews '27

Tricia Merone is a first year French student at the University of St. Andrews and from New York. She has previously been a writer for her high school's newspaper in order to pursue her interest in writing outside of academics. Besides writing, Tricia loves reading, fashion and traveling, as well as any sort of exercise.