This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

When it comes to personal style, there is a huge pool of accessories from which to draw inspiration. Well ladies, said pool has just become a lake. You have seen headbands, hair clips, mini bags, and bucket hats – amongst others – making their comebacks over the years, but now there is one accessory that few of us could have foreseen. Of course, the unprecedented new ‘it’ accessory to which I have alluded is the infamous, frequently government-mandated, claustrophobic at times, bulky and inconvenient at others, face mask.

As early as February, ever-influencing celebrities had started to wear face masks, and attention began to be drawn to the potential that these small pieces of cloth could hold the future of fashion. Catalyzing Instagram posts from cultural icons such as Bella Hadid, Gwyenth Paltrow, and others have led me to believe that while everyone is increasingly uncertain about how the ‘new normal’ will look and feel, masks are the one accessory trend that is here to stay. So, let’s play the cards that were dealt us and inject flair and glamour into this bizarre new normal. Why not seize the opportunity to use masks to say what your socially-distanced-self can’t? The fashion industry certainly is.

Masks have taken the fashion industry by storm, with almost all levels of retailers offering masks on their websites. Rarely before have the public seen such a clear relationship between world events, government rules, and fashion, and masks are an undeniable example of this relationship. Interestingly, fashion retailers have been using masks as an extension of their brand’s aesthetic, which gives consumers a real opportunity to tailor these new accessories to their personal style. For girls who tend to dress in streetwear and follow celebrity styles, there have been several trendy designer masks released for prices ranging from £20 to £250. For girls who prefer florals and patterns to jazz up pre-fall looks, there are hundreds of options on sites ranging from Revolve, Reformation, Liberty London, LoveShackFancy, and even pure silk ones here at Spoiled on Greyfriars Garden. Whatever your taste or budget, I can guarantee that there is a face mask out there for you.

If you are in the market for a new trendy accessory to set the tone for your back-to-school style, here are my top five best places to buy affordable masks online from St Andrews.

1.    ASOS – Variety

A timeless student favourite, ASOS has recently released dozens of new face covering designs from block colours to floral to animal print. You can also use the code ASOSNEWSUMMER for 15%!

2.    Stance. – Funk.

More on the menswear side, Stance has just released a new collection of facemasks that are sure to be just as irresistible as their socks!

3.   Amazon.co.uk – Convenience.

Similarly, Amazon boasts dozens of more generic design patterns at affordable prices with fast delivery.

4.    SkinnyDip London – Trendy. 

SkinnyDip is consistently one of my go-to’s for trendy accessories and never fails to provide the goods. Also, they are currently running a 20% student discount!

5.    Aeibe – Luxury. 

While truthfully on the more expensive end of the spectrum, Aeibe curates beautiful, recycled masks made from dead-stock Liberties London material. 

Regardless of differences in specific government policies, face masks are an accessory that every single one of us is coming to recognize are necessities for the ‘new normal’. So, why not indulge?!

Amelia Ward

St. Andrews '22

Hi! My name is Amelia and I am the Senior Editor for the St. Andrews Chapter of Her Campus Media. I am a half Australian and half English third year student studying French and International Relations, with a passion for personal style, sustainability, and writing.
Alexandra is a fourth year at the University of St Andrews in Scotland studying English and Modern History. She is also the founding president and editor-in-chief for the St Andrews Her Campus chapter, and can usually be found buried in a theatre rehearsing for the next musical, opera, or play. In her spare time, she loves writing creative fiction, traveling, and generally enjoying living in Scotland!